Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Were they joking? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350155)

daeuco 04/03/2004 11:13 PM

Were they joking?

I have read where some people say that you should "Super Glue" coral frags and some sessile inverts into place. Is this safe? It seems to me that cyanoacrylates would be poisonous.... if this is not safe then how do you keep frags in place? As long as the subject is broached, is there a safe way to adhere lr pieces together to prevent rockslides?

jackson6745 04/03/2004 11:21 PM

I use super glue all the time as well as many others. Works great with no ill effects to any livestock

jerrymlr1 04/03/2004 11:25 PM

Super-glue gel is safe for corals. You can use underwater epoxy for sticking your rocks together.

nite99 04/03/2004 11:37 PM

I use the super glue gel all the time for coral, just be careful, as it takes takes some time to get good at it. Strings and things, as it starts to set up fast when it hits the water.

Reefmedic79 04/04/2004 12:42 AM

Super glue gel user here, and had felt the same way you did. Everything is fine so far.

nanocat 04/04/2004 01:28 AM

I can relate. The first time I heard "superglue gel", I thought "wait a minute, this can't be good"?

It's all good. I don't even glue my fingers together any more :lol:

Just got back from a major frag swap and I must have spent an hour just mounting SPS.

The cheapest two-part epoxy good for sticking live rock can be found at Home Depot, brand name "aquamend".

crzy4reefs 04/04/2004 04:08 AM

i use superglue gel i keep it in the freezer......and under water epoxy........i think everyone that was new thought the same thing don't worry it's all safe......when i frag things in my tank i get some cheap live rock like 2.99 lb some small pieces. i have some deep dish pie pans used just for this.....put a some tank water in there take out the piece of coral i cut then glue it on the rock let it sit for a bit to make sure the glue held.......then put it back into the tank. done this for 1 1/2 with no ill effect good luck

witche42 04/04/2004 05:43 AM

same here, go for it!

sorenb 04/04/2004 06:00 AM

Cyanoacrylate is used for gluing in surgery on humans.
Also works well on mushroom and leather corals :) (and many more).

sorenb

catdoc 04/04/2004 11:44 PM

I still haven't figured out the best way to get the super glue gel to actually stick under water. What am I doing wrong? Can someone tell me the secret? Do you apply the glue above or under the water's surface? It seems to set up so fast that I can't get it positioned before it's set.

My funny super glue story: This week, hubby was helping me glue a couple zoanthid polyps that had blown loose. His job was holding up the canopy and passing me the super glue. When he handed the glue to me, I stuck what I thought was a capped tube into my mouth. All he could say was "uh uh uh uh...", luckily we've been married long enough that I knew he actually meant "take the open tube of super glue out of your mouth, dummy!" Yep, got super glue all over my lip. At least I had the sense to keep from gluing my lips together!! (Do you think he was actually trying to accomplish that??)

jackson6745 04/04/2004 11:47 PM

gluing softies can be difficult. IME they always mucus loose from the glue. If you're gluing a hard frag, dry the part you're going to glue, put a dab of glue, dip it in the tank, take it out and blow on it until the glue turns from clear to white, then press it on the rock and twist until it grabs.

catdoc 04/04/2004 11:55 PM

Aaaahhhh, so the glue is best for sps or lps, not so much for softies. I can see how the mucus interferes but what can I do instead?

jackson6745 04/04/2004 11:58 PM

sorry i'm not really a softie expert but in the past I used bridal veil netting to hold softies to rocks until they adhere. i also used rubberbands and even speared corals into rocks with tooth pics:D

I guess thats why I switched over to SPS;)

quandary_23 04/05/2004 06:17 AM

I sowed my xenia to rocks as suggested by someone else, works good so far, once they attach firmly just take thread off of it. I havn't superglued anything yet though...

treszoks 04/05/2004 07:32 AM

For non-softies, put the superglue on it, dip it briefly to get a coating and then put more gel on it and finally attach it by twisting and squishing it together. For softies, its better to try to get it to attach to some rubble, then glue the rubble to where you want it.

booberry93 04/05/2004 07:48 AM

Do you guys think it's better to glue rocks and stuff together?? I thought about buying some the other night when I got my new base rock but I figured it would be okay without it. Now I'm all paranoid that one of these rocks is gonna fall on somebody!

coyoteseven 04/05/2004 09:27 AM

Here's a Reefkeeping Online article that might help out:

[url]http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-10/ac/feature/index.htm[/url]