Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   cloudy water (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289173)

braysmom 01/08/2008 04:18 PM

cloudy water

can someone tell me why my aquarium is still cloudy? we set up our 75 gal tank saturday with salt water and live sand and it's still cloudy. filters/skimmers have been running non-stop. we haven't added any live rock yet b/c of the cloudiness. ???

stingythingy45 01/08/2008 04:27 PM

Did you rinse the sand?
Not live sand but dry sand if you used it?
It takes a while for things to settle down in a tank.
Just keep running the filter and it will pull the sediment from the water column.
BTW,you can add the rock,just wont be able to see it to make formations.

ljosh 01/08/2008 04:45 PM

Did you add water then pour the sand in?

Deb91 01/08/2008 06:20 PM

How long ago did you add the water? If thats live rock I hope it is sitting in saltwater.

The Floodinator 01/08/2008 07:23 PM

When I first set up my tank it took a good 10 days for all the sediment to settle. That was after I rinsed it as best I could.

Deb91 01/08/2008 09:42 PM

He said it was live sand so I don't understand why is so cloudy.

braysmom 01/09/2008 08:42 AM

used live sand so didn't rinse it. we did dump it in after we filled the tank with water. will it ever settle or do we need to do a complete water change?

jgrantham7 01/09/2008 08:54 AM

It'll settle, but it'll take several days.
Go ahead and add your live rock. This way you can cycle both the rock and the sand at the same time.

When the water clears in a few days, organize your seascape.

drillsar 01/09/2008 08:56 AM

It will take time to settle, with the rock in there it will settle better especially when the sand gets bacteria on it, is this real live sand or the stuff you buy in a bag?

The_Browns 01/09/2008 09:07 AM

Try a filter sock with a carbon bag. Ours cleared up in 24 hours.

braysmom 01/09/2008 09:53 AM

we used the live aragonite sand. we didn't even buy any live rock yet b/c we weren't sure about the cloudiness. but if it's ok and the live rock will help, we'll go get some this week and put in there. i'm not sure what a filter sock is. ?

drillsar 01/09/2008 10:56 AM

the one in the bag? if it's the bag its really not that live.

braysmom 01/09/2008 11:02 AM

yeah it's in a bag but it has water in it, it's not dry.

drillsar 01/09/2008 11:41 AM

Yeah I know what you're talking about, its really not live but it's ok because your rock will seed it, if you can get some fellow reefers to give you a couple of cups of sand or LFS that would be a good option, you going for a DSB or?

braysmom 01/09/2008 01:09 PM

why is it not really live? it says it's packed with bacteria and stuff and it's what everyone (from the pet stores) told us to use. ? we're brand spankin' new to this so we're completely vulnerable, lol. and what on earth is a DSB? :confused:

Deb91 01/09/2008 05:03 PM

I call that live sand myself. Why the heck who you may so much money for it then vias playsand ect? Any way I would get your live rock in now so you will only have to go threw one cycle! You will have to aquascape your rock at a later date when you can see it better. Is it staring to clear up at all yet? Where are you getting your rock from?

drillsar 01/09/2008 05:07 PM

DSb is a deep sand bed, Recommended 4" to 6" height, Need fine sand. It helps with Nitrates but needs a detivore kit from like ipsf.com and inlandaquactics.com. I recommend to try to get a cup of two of sand from fellow reefers, The sand thats Live in a bag is Crap, it's not real live sand. There's some Life on it not much, Just get good rock and eventually your sand will come live. Play Sand is perfect problem is trying to find the right one before was wasy now cant find it.

Don't beleive your LFS, Its actually better with Dead Aragonite then Live, for one it's cheaper then you can either add kits or let your rock seeded.

spike78 01/09/2008 06:25 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11558773#post11558773 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by braysmom [/i]
[B]why is it not really live? it says it's packed with bacteria and stuff and it's what everyone (from the pet stores) told us to use. ? we're brand spankin' new to this so we're completely vulnerable, lol. and what on earth is a DSB? :confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

Check here for proper deep sand bed construction:

[url]http://ronshimek.com/Deep%20Sand%20Beds.htm[/url]