Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How long can you store made up Saltwater? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287527)

The Saltman 01/06/2008 05:51 PM

How long can you store made up Saltwater?

Hi guys,

In a properly sealed container such as a brute garbage can that is sealed, how long can it be stored? On the same question, how long can you store RO/DI water?

Skipper 01/06/2008 05:57 PM

IMO, there is no limit to either.

DEXNC 01/06/2008 05:57 PM

I have kept mines up to two weeks in a brute trash can with a small power head for circulation, I guess the main thing is that there is movement of the water.

The Saltman 01/06/2008 06:11 PM

So as long as I have a powerhead for water movement, both should be alright for any period of time?

Skipper 01/06/2008 06:13 PM

IMO, they will both be fine even without a powerhead. Just make sure to mix up the saltwater with a powerhead before using it.

gary faulkner 01/06/2008 07:17 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11535900#post11535900 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Skipper [/i]
[B]IMO, they will both be fine even without a powerhead. Just make sure to mix up the saltwater with a powerhead before using it. [/B][/QUOTE]

AquaReeferMan 01/06/2008 07:51 PM

Ive kept mixed saltwater in a trashcan for over 2 weeks before. It wont go bad. Just make sure there is a lid over it so nothing gets in there.

stevelkaneval 01/06/2008 08:06 PM

salt water will store indefinatly. you dont need a power head. all you have to do is make sure its not exposed to any light. no light is the key. you can buy premade salt water from some fish stores and they are usually at least 4-6 monthes old before they hit the shelves (I work part time at a lfs) and they dont come with a powerhead, and you dont have to shake the water.

stevelkaneval 01/06/2008 08:07 PM

there is nothing live in the water so nothing rots ie no need for water movement.

Kaos 01/06/2008 08:08 PM

I never fully exhaust my SW. I have a 5gal. bucket (w/ a MJ1200 and Ebo 150w) full of SW for w/c's. Since I only do 1 gal. a w/c I never use all the pre-mixed SW. I've been doing this for almost a year now w/ no ill effects. I don't know that there is an experation time for pre-mixed Sw as long as it's circulated. I would think RO water would not go bad either as long as it's stored in a sealed container. But, that's JMO.

30reef 01/06/2008 08:22 PM

If all of the ratios are near NSW levels, synthetic sw can be stored indefinitely. It will only precipitate if ratios are screwy.
RO/DI is another matter though. Bacteria can grow in it if the container is not sterile. RO/DI does not have any chlorine or other chemicals to inhibit microorganism growth. I notice this in our dogs water dish, it gets gunky much faster when we fill it with RO vs tap water.

vanmo92 01/06/2008 08:37 PM

I have kept both kinds for over 1 month with out any affects. I would not have a problem storing either for very long periods of time (as long as it is sealed and there in minimal light).

snorvich 01/06/2008 09:02 PM

I keep 220 gallons of extra saltwater which is pump circulated and heated to within one degree of tank water. I have two additional reservoirs of RO/DI water that are being gradually used constantly.

plummike 01/06/2008 09:12 PM

I keep an air stone in mine to keep the salt water oxygenated

stevedola 01/08/2008 12:21 PM

question

I keep my salt water heated with a pump to move water. The heater was unplugged by my motherinlaw and nver plugged back in. the water obviously dropped in temp.

Is it ok to bring it back to temp and use? that shouldnt make a difference right? I dont think so but want to double check.

rjrobert 01/08/2008 01:02 PM

I think you should be ok, If anything the drop in water temperature slowed the growth of anything that was in the container. But this is just my oppinion.

stevedola 01/08/2008 01:26 PM

well there was only fresh RODI H2O and IO salt with ESV Mag run by a quiet1 3000 and heater...no live organisms I introduced.

miston 01/08/2008 01:29 PM

Last night I mixed up 12 gallons of saltwater and put them into 1 gallon water containers. I put them into my walkin closet, so no light will get to them.

One thing I noticed is that my Rubbermaid container is leaching something into the water. My RO/DI comes out zero PPM. When I filled it up it tested zero PPM again. However I was sort of lazy with mixing it up. After day one the RO/DI tested 1 PPM, a day later 2 PPM, then almost 3 and 4 PPM. I even covered it to make sure nothing was getting in.

SO I dumped that water and filled it up again and put the salt in right then.

Since I only have a 12 gallon I can change 2 gallons a week for the next six weeks QUICK as a snake! :)

rjrobert 01/08/2008 03:18 PM

It's common and you should expect to have leaching of a container into the RO/DI. My Rubbermaid seams to leach about 14TDS in a week. If that bothers you then you can get special lab and or some food liquid holding containers to reduce the leaching.

30reef 01/09/2008 12:45 PM

Yeah, get the white containers made from HDPE (high density polyethylene). They are food grade and inert. I think white 5g buckets from HD are HDPE, and you can get the lids also. They stack well too.

jbarone 01/09/2008 12:56 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11551171#post11551171 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rjrobert [/i]
[B]It's common and you should expect to have leaching of a container into the RO/DI. My Rubbermaid seams to leach about 14TDS in a week. If that bothers you then you can get special lab and or some food liquid holding containers to reduce the leaching. [/B][/QUOTE]

Interesting? What type of rubbermaid are you using? My brute leaches nothing in to my RO/DI ever. Has the container ever been used for something other than water storage?

rjrobert 01/09/2008 02:20 PM

jbarone, I'm also using brutes. Never been used for anything but salt water. They get washed everytime their used to rinse out any salt from the previous batch. I have heard and read many times where the leaching will occur. Sounds like you got a special batch :) Who knows maybe Lowes used mine to hold something before they sold em... You just never know.