Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nano Reefs (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   AP12 running warm (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1282364)

thin crust 12/30/2007 09:40 PM

AP12 running warm

hi everyone,

recently set up an AP12 with standard CF lighting. notice my temp gets up to 81 degrees when the lights are on. has anyone else experienced this in their AP?

any simple mods i can do to help lower the temp? i really don't want to fork out the $$$ for a chiller.

thanks in advance for your input.

TC

FriendToNemo 01/10/2008 02:06 PM

I just bought one also and was concerned so i called the LFS where they had one set up and i just had my finger to check temperature in mine but they seemed to be the same both were warm to the touch. When i asked him what he did he said that it stays the same temperature because of the humidity in the store and they said that one solution is to just lift the tiny lid that you can use to feed the fish and just leave it open that lowered the temp considerably in mine. And you dont have to worry about the temp, that much, as long as it doesnt rise and fall a bunch.

thin crust 01/10/2008 05:32 PM

i ended up buying a 1/20 chiller. there's no A/C during the weekends at my office so the tank got up to 84 degrees with the feeder lid open.

ToeJam 01/10/2008 06:43 PM

Try replacing the stock pump with a maxijet 900. This dropped mine by about 2 degrees.

kc350twin 01/10/2008 10:08 PM

I have a Aquapod 12 HQI and had the same problem. I put a Ice Probe in the third camber just sitting on top pointing down. It's a little cheaper and no plumbing.

Kc3

bad santa 01/10/2008 10:23 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11568869#post11568869 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thin crust [/i]
[B]i ended up buying a 1/20 chiller. there's no A/C during the weekends at my office so the tank got up to 84 degrees with the feeder lid open. [/B][/QUOTE]

You wont regret buying the chiller. I just bought the JBJ 1/20 recently for the hot summer months to come.

TKByrnes 01/10/2008 10:32 PM

My ap 24 runs at a steady 25* It has been that way for about 2 months now and I havent had any issues at all. I have a open top with a sunpod 150 watt hqi.

thin crust 01/10/2008 11:50 PM

i think having the ambient temperature of my office so high is what caused my tank temp to rise. i looked at the ice probe chiller but wanted something that i could dial in the temp and was a litte more reliable. i've been running a 1/20 chiller at home for a several months and it's been great for me. wanted to stick with something i was already familiar with. for me, the $230 is worth the peace of mind knowing that my tank is running proper.

i plan on upgrading the lighting to MH one day so i'm sure the chiller will help with that as well.