Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A DIY $6 Wavemake to control a powerhead! (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469673)

doody 12/01/2005 09:18 PM

Ok, I took the gear that you glue the clear tube to out, and still nothing is happening. All the other gears in that lil clear box should be spinning as the one you glue is the last one in the series. So , it's not a prob. with the clear tube. What else could it be?
I know it's only a $4 timmer, but I'm curiouse of what I'm doing wrong.

doody 12/01/2005 09:27 PM

BTW, I also took the little white in the green box out for testing the gears in the clear box. This allowes me to have constent current without the white piece interupting it by pushing apart the metal tabs. The one I speake of is in the last pic posted by ficklefins.

doody 12/02/2005 10:59 PM

Did I make any sense at all in the above posts?

doody 12/02/2005 10:59 PM

Did I make any sense at all in the above posts?

doody 12/04/2005 07:54 PM

Any one?

doody 12/04/2005 07:54 PM

Any one?

ficklefins 12/05/2005 04:30 PM

Robert,

I'm not to sure what the issue is. If you could describe in some detail what you did and where you had your problem it may help out. Where again do you think the issue is?

Here is a snapshot of possible problems:

[IMG]http://www.reefers.org/album/images/3583_99104.JPG[/IMG]

^^^If the white part is not spinning then it may be because the metal tabs are not bent enough. The white part does not spin as easily after the mod as it did before hand. The solution to this part may be to bend the tabs more or angle them so they are only slightly moved by the white part.

[IMG]http://www.reefers.org/album/images/3583_99060.JPG[/IMG]

^^^If you problem is in this area then there are a few things that could be going wrong.

1. If the tallest piece is not spinning then you may have glued the gears to the metal bar.

2. The spacing between the gears may be too tall forcing the top most gear to hit the clear lid.

3. Your gears are not glued well and so the top part spins but does not spin the rest of the glued gear part.

One last thing. The part between the outlet plug and the glued box is a little plastic part that sits on the housing. This part has tabs that line up with the green(on) and red(off) switches on the timer dial. Sometimes this part needs to be adjusted so that it is triggered by the switch.

So let us know with the pics posted above where you think the problem is.

doody 12/06/2005 09:03 PM

Ok where to start?
From my understanding electricity flows from the outlet to the two wires. From there it travals through the lil circutboard and somehow starts making the gear with the black thing on it in your second pic spin. From that gear all the other are spun. All those gears together make the lil white piece in the 1st pic spin. And when that spins it seperates the two metal tabs, breaking the circut. Is this close?
If this is the case, I think my prob is somewhere in that second box where you glue the two gears.

Here's what I've done to try to trouble shoot:
I removed the lil white piece in the green box. I did this because if the metal tabs were holding the lil white piece from spinning, then that lil white piece was holding the rest of the gears back. And by removeing it, all of the gears in the clear box should still spin. But I got nothing.
So, maybe I glued the gears in the clear box wrong. Well, the thing about the clear box is that the one you glue together is the last gear in that little group of gears. So, even without it, the first gear (with the black thin on it) should still spin. But again, I got nothing.

Now, I might be looking at how this thing works wrong. But above is how I figure it to work. Does my explenation help you at all to help me?

doody 12/12/2005 05:49 PM

Well, I tried everything I can think of (mechanical wise) and can't figure where I went wrong. Anyone else screw this up or am I the only DIY dummy?

ant276 12/12/2005 08:03 PM

I'll chime in:

I'm interested in trying this as well. I'm not very good with this kind of stuff though. Kinda busy at work too. Gotta deliver a few projects by end of year.

Tony

nofrills 12/12/2005 08:10 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6136434#post6136434 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cja_2000 [/i]
[B]i have just tryed this with 3 timers destroying them all i found that as soon as the timer turn to the tab it stalls i even geared it down a bit more but found that is would only change every 5 mins or so not as fast as i want

any ideas? [/B][/QUOTE]

You are 24 hours behind...that's the problem!

j/k

nofrills 12/12/2005 08:10 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6136434#post6136434 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cja_2000 [/i]
[B]i have just tryed this with 3 timers destroying them all i found that as soon as the timer turn to the tab it stalls i even geared it down a bit more but found that is would only change every 5 mins or so not as fast as i want

any ideas? [/B][/QUOTE]

You are 24 hours behind...that's the problem!:lol: :rollface:

j/k

Lv2_play 12/14/2005 09:17 PM

I recently tried this mod out over the weekend. The glueing was the easy part. My biggest pain was working with the metal tabs, but the tabs are the most important.

When all the gears are in, its on a 24hr rotation and the top gear moves ever so slightly and there is enough torque to spin the dial and click on and off (even without bending or cutting tabs).

What happens when you remove the 3 gears and glue the top gear back is that the the 'gear system' now moves on a 1 min rotation (equal ration to the bottom gear), but looses alot of torque. With out the extra torque, their isnt enough power to click on and off.

So the tabs have to be super light, just light enough for the gears to click over. I followed the mod and tried other things to get the tabs 'light' enough to work correctly.

-work on the off tab 1st (right tab)
-try slightly bending both tabs towards the right
-try cutting more than 1/16 in off left tab and bend it less
-try cleaning and greasing the pinion holding the gears

doody 12/14/2005 09:30 PM

Lv2_play,

I don't think the tabs are my prob. As i said, I took the little white piece that spins and seperates tha tabs out. I did this because, with out it the gears in the clear box should still spin. However, I got nadda.

guntercb 12/29/2005 05:38 PM

That is pretty cool. Is it still working?

Thanks,
Chris

Mr Bojangles 12/29/2005 08:43 PM

well my 2 are still working just fine

wiley0717 12/29/2005 08:54 PM

Awsome!

ddowless 12/31/2005 09:58 PM

I'm new to RC and just found this thread. Love the idea! Tried to see the vid but...all I got was an "x" box after the download. Suggestions?

Thank guys...

ddowless 12/31/2005 09:58 PM

I'm new to RC and just found this thread. Love the idea! Tried to see the vid but...all I got was an "x" box after the download. Suggestions?

Thank guys...

10" Red Devil 01/02/2006 02:23 PM

Can you post another better pic of how you have the ridged air line tubing attached to the gears?

Thanks!

h20cooled 01/23/2006 12:39 AM

Awesome mod, I just completed mine and I'm using it with a modified MJ900 and it works great. It took me quite a few adjustments to get the thing to switch on and off but it works.

Thanx

Rich

zachtos 01/27/2006 12:03 AM

VERY NICE MOD...

very FRUSTRATING to adjust it, took me about 4 hours to get the stupid thing to switch w/o getting caught, but it appears to work great now.

luv2dive 01/29/2006 09:46 PM

This is friggin awesome! I have to try it!

tekknoschtev 01/29/2006 09:52 PM

Well, this weekend I tried it on an intermatic timer (different than the one pictured) and got it to do a complete revolution in 5 minutes. To overcome tht I stripped the tabs off of another timer and had three on/off cycles per 5 minutes. I used it on the modified MaxiJet (with the nozzle cut off to get "random" flow) and my puffer absolutely LOVED it. It really brought her 35gal tank to life with motion. Unfortunately, because I rushed through it, I got some superglue/hot glue on the shaft and it bound up about an hour after running.

But.... I have two modified MJ1200s, one in each frag tank, that I am going to be doing this mod for, and taking my time to do it properly. I'm also going to do another one for the puffer's tank, but that will only be for a month or so because she's getting upgraded to a 60cube with a closed loop :D

zachtos 01/29/2006 10:40 PM

mine stopped working already. very frustrating. Will turn for maybe 6 or so cycles then it will stop turning as if it doesn't have enough torque to make it go anymore. It doesn't get stuck on the on off portion, just the turning part.