Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Schuran Jetstream 1 Calcium reactor. Some pictures. (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397189)

Project Reef 08/09/2004 04:41 PM

Sweet reactor, pics and info Ewan!

manderx 08/09/2004 04:50 PM

i am just getting a reactor so i have no real experience (waiting for the Geo to show up) but the larger media makes so much more sense to me than the smaller stuff. i want high flow through the media doing the work rather than restricted flow through more surface area. seems like with proper flow, the CO2 would do it's job much faster to more than make up for the reduced surface area. kinda like slow flow of hot water going through a huge radiator (small grains) versus high flow of hot water going through a smaller radiator (large grains).

i was just about to order some of the media from aquaticecosystems, but couldn't tell how much was in a bag. how many bags would be equivalent to a jar of ARM? and any idea on where it comes from? from the pics, it looks like M. digitata skeleton, but seems like it would have to be man-made to be feasable.

RedEyeReef 08/09/2004 10:36 PM

Sorry if I missed it, what is the PH of your effleunt from your Schuran?

Tom Berry 08/15/2004 10:46 PM

The Schuran media comes in 1 kg bags (about 2.5 lbs.) The bags are $4 each. 3 bags ($12) would be a little less than 8 lbs., so it costs about the same as A.R.M. ($15 for 8 lbs.) on a weight basis.

I ordered 4 bags from AES, to try in my Geo reactor. For some reason, they sent it by the postal service, which cost me $14. If you order from them, make sure they send it by UPS or FedEx ground.

I'll let you know how it works in my Geo.

Tom Berry:fish2:

corro 08/15/2004 11:09 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tom Berry [/i]
[B]I ordered 4 bags from AES, to try in my Geo reactor.

I'll let you know how it works in my Geo.

Tom Berry:fish2: [/B][/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing and am very interested to hear how this works out also...

Ewan 08/16/2004 04:49 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Project Reef [/i]
[B]Sweet reactor, pics and info Ewan! [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks! I was disappointed in the number of different pictures available on the web for the schuran before I purchased it, so I really wanted to share the pictures [I]that I wanted to see[/I] before I purchased it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by manderx[/i]
[B] i was just about to order some of the media from aquaticecosystems, but couldn't tell how much was in a bag. how many bags would be equivalent to a jar of ARM? and any idea on where it comes from? from the pics, it looks like M. digitata skeleton, but seems like it would have to be man-made to be feasable.[/B][/QUOTE]

Tom Got there first. But for reference, the media chamber on my Schuran holds 1.5 bags (1.5 kilos). You can see the size relation of the chamber next to a 12oz can on the first page.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by redeyereef[/i]
[B] Sorry if I missed it, what is the PH of your effleunt from your Schuran?[/B][/QUOTE]

Shuran states that the media will not dissolve well at a pH greater than 6.5. From my experience, they are correct. I tried to get away with a pH of 6.6, but it just didn't cut it. This is my third reactor, so the fear of running my reactor below pH 6.5 [for fear of turning my media to mush] is deeply engrained. After I broke that barrier, I was dialed in very quickly.

Finally, Tom, I'm very interested to hear your experience with the larger media from Aquaticecosystems.

E.

Jimsreef 08/22/2004 07:01 PM

A simple compression valve can be mounted on the true union valve (the big blue handle) to accomodate a pH monitor/controller.

What all extra fittings do you need for this ph probe setup and where do you purchase them at. Thanks jim

hardreef 09/22/2004 12:37 AM

With the ph having to be so low and the effluent rate so high dont you severly drop the ph in your tank?

liusteven 09/24/2004 01:53 PM

I am going to buy a new calcium reactor... would like to know how is the Shuran calcium reactor going?

I am specifically interested in setup, maintenance, media (is the media really phospahte free compared to other media like ARM?)

Thanks

StephenS 09/24/2004 01:58 PM

I have had it for about a month or two. I like it very much. Dont let the size fool you this thing works great. The media is PO4 free if you soak it in RO/DI for 2 days prior to loading it (tested using hach po-19 low range P04 kit). This is a good practice even with medias that claim to be PO4 free. PA has a real good price on it.

Ewan 09/24/2004 03:42 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by hardreef [/i]
[B]With the ph having to be so low and the effluent rate so high dont you severly drop the ph in your tank? [/B][/QUOTE]

Good question. Yes, in my small system. It does affect the pH.

I only run mine for 6 hours a day. I fixed the pH drops by breaking that 6 hours up to have the co2 to turn on four times a day, for 1.5 hour intervals. It works out fine for me. When I needed to do some additional tweaking to the reactor, I would just add a couple more minutes to each on cycle. Time is the easiest factor to control with a reactor, afterall.

Stephen, very good to know about the media. I didn't have access to such a kit with that kind of precision.

I also got mine at Premium Aquatics (I prolly mentioned that already in this thread) and I always recommend them. Customer service can't be beat.

E.

Fliger 09/24/2004 03:47 PM

Totally awesome thread, totally awesome reactor, thanks for the pix. I ordered mine earlier this week.

Thanks!

Ewan 09/24/2004 03:52 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Fliger [/i]
[B]Totally awesome thread, totally awesome reactor, thanks for the pix. I ordered mine earlier this week.

Thanks! [/B][/QUOTE]

:thumbsup:

You're going to love it.

liusteven 09/25/2004 02:23 PM

What kind of pump are you guys using and what is the flow rate?

chwattscaw 10/26/2004 03:45 PM

Do you use a controller or just time it to shut off at night

Ewan 10/26/2004 04:01 PM

I use a timer, but a controller would work well too.

It would be an entirely different set up with a controler. The folks on [url]www.ultimatereef.com[/url] (the UK board) generally run their jetstreams with a controller. I have read very few complaints with the reactors set up in that manner.

liusteven:

[IMG]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/192blueline.jpg[/IMG]

Mine's been teed off my return. I control the effluent on the input side (schuran recommended). It's been stable for 3 months this way.

I used some peristaltic pumps, and an expensive LMI metering pump. In the end, I decided simpler was better. I may switch to a peristaltic pump again in the future.

Consistancy is key. This reactor works best an an effluent rate of at least 50mL and above. This is quite fast, fwiw.

E.

prodman 11/06/2004 04:32 PM

so after a couple months of use are the jetstream users still happy with them

3_high_low 11/13/2004 10:05 PM

I just fired mine up. I'm impressed by the gas scavenging. Smart design! Why didn't I think of that?:)

Now it's time to break out the test kits and keep an eye on things. I expect I'll need to put the co2 on a timer; my tank is only around 125g's.

Nice thread, Ewan. Thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

liusteven 11/13/2004 10:40 PM

Juse got mine up and running... I do have many bubbles and waiting for it to settle! I did have some problem installing the pump because it had to be mounted tight!

I also have the solenoid on a controller to shut of Co2 at night :)

Will let you know how it goes!

prodman 11/13/2004 10:56 PM

have you heard good things about the jetstream pico. My tank is only 65g

3_high_low 11/13/2004 11:10 PM

Prodman,

I think a Pico would be just ducky on a 65g.

Steven,

Yeah, I see lots of bubble in mine too. I guess they're coming mostly from the airy media.

liusteven 11/14/2004 01:26 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by 3_high_low [/i]
[B]Prodman,

I think a Pico would be just ducky on a 65g.

Steven,

Yeah, I see lots of bubble in mine too. I guess they're coming mostly from the airy media. [/B][/QUOTE]

3_high_low,

What is your PH at the reactor showing? Mine is 6.8 after 2 hours! I have increased the CO2 bubbles to 90/min to get the PH to 6.5

Todd March 11/14/2004 01:29 AM

Hey Guys, what CO2 regulator are you using...? I will be setting up my Jetstream 1 next week, and need to buy a regulator...?

RedEyeReef 11/14/2004 01:38 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by liusteven [/i]
[B]3_high_low,

What is your PH at the reactor showing? Mine is 6.8 after 2 hours! I have increased the CO2 bubbles to 90/min to get the PH to 6.5 [/B][/QUOTE]

At PH 6.5 what is your Alk at on the effluence and how long has the effluence been running at that PH?

3_high_low 11/14/2004 02:20 PM

The effluent pH was 6.82 late last night, today it is 6.72. The tank water is 10 dKh and pH is 8.12. (MH lights not on yet.) I haven't measured the effluent alk.

Todd, I don't remember where I got the regulator. Any old co2 regulator will do. One with a needle valve is pretty much mandatory. A solenoid is nice to have, it will be necessary if you plan to use a co2 controller or a timer.