PDA

View Full Version : Canister filtration

Bartman
07/16/2002, 09:32 PM
Well i am about to buy some big ticket items for my tank and was wondering how you all felt about canister filters. I am currently looking at an Ehiem canister filter (pro series). I have a 75 gallon tank and will be going with LR and argonite sand bottom. (still not sure if i want a 4-6" DSB) I plan on having some "starter" corals and inverts along with about 5 small fish (havent decided what). Any how i was wondering how you all felt about the wet/dry canisters. I am fairly certain- according to my research- that ehiem is a good brand filter. Another perk is the off and on flow that it generates. Seems an added plus for tank circulation. Well thats all i wanted to know and also "Hi" to all of you all i believe this is my first post on this board. Had to leave saltwaterfish.com. Right cruddy server they have there. Any advice would be apreciated.

Bartman

NewMariner
07/16/2002, 09:37 PM
Let me be the first To Welcome you to RC BartMan.....

Anyway, Eheim canisters are great filters.....HOWEVER, they are nitrate factories if you dont do regular cleanings on them....This really doesnt bother fish to much but it will bother your corals.....I had a Fluval filter on my 55g tank and my nitrates were around 15ppm....to high for corals....If I were you I would just buy a good skimmer, your live rock, sand and a few powerheads....the powerheads will give you good circulation...

HTH
NewMariner

coachgail
07/16/2002, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the group! Now, to make a few constructive (I hope) comments...

Dump the eheim. Spend your money on a good skimmer.

Forget the aragonite...unless it is sugar fine. Go to Home Depot, but SOuthdown play sand if they have it. Or another super fine sand if they don't!

Do you have a sump? If not, consider one. If not, try a refugium to add volume. A couple of powerheads and a skimmer witll het you enough flow, but a sump would be best, so you can hide the skimmer, get more filtration, and a refugium all in one!

DgenR8
07/17/2002, 09:02 AM
Agreeing with New Mariner and Coach Gail here. Eheim makes a great filter for fresh water, but a marine reef system can be done better, without any canister or wet dry.
Just one more thing to add:
[welcome]

Bartman
07/17/2002, 04:34 PM
Thanks so much for the information. I certainly apreciate the input. I suppose i will skip the canister filtration. I am still aprehensive about using play sand but you all would know better than i would :cool: . Thanks again