PDA

View Full Version : auto top-offs?

slowradio
12/18/2006, 05:40 PM
what do you feel are the best auto top-offs and why? what should i expect to pay for a reliable unit?

bertoni
12/18/2006, 06:47 PM
I use a peristaltic pump and a controller with two float switches. I can dose kalkwasser with it, and it's got some redundancy to deal with single points of failure. My setups ran about $200 each.

Ti
12/18/2006, 07:12 PM
tunze osmo

J. Montgomery
12/18/2006, 07:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8779673#post8779673 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
I use a peristaltic pump and a controller with two float switches. I can dose kalkwasser with it, and it's got some redundancy to deal with single points of failure.
I just set up the same type of unit today (just in time to leave for X-mas!); I picked up a peristalic pump from Marine Depot (~$90) and the dual float valve (~$50) from AutoTopOff.com. Other than that, you'll need some tubing.

Snarkys
12/20/2006, 10:56 AM
float switches work well AutoTopOff.com is a good place to get them. problem is they get dirty and stick in the "on" position . If you are really good about maintenance and cleaning them then this is a good option. One float will always fail . having two floats makes it really unlikely but on a long enough time line anything can and will happen.

the tunze OSMOLATOR UNIVERSAL works great. it uses a electric eye sensor that i believe can only fail in the off position and has a back up float switch. the included pump has worked good for me . http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=T3155.000&Category_Code=Dosers

best solution is the dosing pumps . you set it to replace the amount of water that evaporates in a day and it has a float switch add on . really no way to have things go bad with this set up . http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SP-LITERMETER3&Category_Code=Dosers

besl
12/20/2006, 11:20 AM
I have been using the JBJ A.T.O unit for nearly 1 year now with no problem. Usually sells for $99.99 and if you shop around you can get it for $79.99. I think Drs F&S have it at the sale price now. Everything you need comes in the box except the tubing.