PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of the 'Reverse Carlson Surge Device'?

IVPush
11/24/2000, 05:26 PM
I recently read an article discussing a device which creates surges in your tank. It contains no moving parts except those of an air pump. Theres an elaberate design and theory behind it. Apparently it is in the testing stages, or atleast it was when the article was written. Does anyone know of this device? or something similar.

Rick O
11/24/2000, 05:50 PM
One of our LFS has one for their coral tank. It looks like it works pretty good but it has to be mounted above your tank.

Rick

Snailman
11/24/2000, 07:00 PM
The only surge device that I have heard of is the Eco-Wheel. Several people here have them. They are basicly an wheel based ATS. I got a copy of the patents for it but have not had the time to read them all. I am interested in surge devices and ATS. :) The Carlson device is an auto-siphon and this uses air to turn a paddle wheel. Do a search on eco-wheel and there is a lot of information on it here.

Cookoopod
11/24/2000, 09:35 PM
I read a similar article on the Carlson Reverse Surge. Did you read it in Sea Scope?

Snailman
11/24/2000, 09:41 PM
I went back and looked that issue of SeaScope up and reread the article and it made more sense this time. :) This is a very serious surge device and would need to be approached with great planning and caution. A surge device that can expolde or shake your rocks apart is no minor thing. The article is in Volume 17 Winter 2000

[Edited by Snailman on 11-24-2000 at 10:25 PM]

IVPush
11/24/2000, 10:26 PM
LMAO Snailman, you are right, something a little less powerful then what is portrayed in the article would be great I think. Were definately not looking to split any atoms, just creat a slight surge.

I have to admit, when I first read the article a while ago it made no sense to me. Im glad I kept it though, and now it makes perfect sense. Im just wondering if theres something out there on a little less of a grand scale.

and yes Cookoopod I read it in SeaScope. Picked it up at a LFS a couple months back and found it while cleaning out my junk pile :)

Snailman
11/24/2000, 10:53 PM
IVPush... I use the design that http://www.aquatouch.com put on their web site except in place of the five gallon bucket I used a 20 gallon Sterlite tub from WalMart. It has been in operation for over a year and I love it. I tried several different designs before I settled on this one. It is cheap and easy to build and works great and is not sensitive to feed rate like the CSD. It is a lot quieter and has less bubbles that the CSD. I am with you I had to go back and read that article on the RCSD again for it to make sense.

Snailman
11/24/2000, 11:11 PM
Maybe making one of these out of a piece of 6" PVC pipe would simplify the design and also limit the size of the surge. :) The only thing is what kind of air pump would it take to drive it. I don't know if my Medo is up to that job. You may need an oilless air compressor. :(

Canadian
11/25/2000, 12:08 AM
Here ya go. Just scroll down the page in the link to see a diagram.

http://www.reefs.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/012911.html

Snailman
11/25/2000, 11:12 AM
Andrew... Thanks a bunch. When I have time I am going to build one of these and try it out. I like no moving parts and no valves. :)

Cookoopod
11/25/2000, 07:58 PM
I also read it in SeaScope. By the way the plans look, you can adjust the "power" of this thing by raising or lowering the resevoir. Lowering it will reduce the head and thus weaken the surge. I also would imagine that decreasing the volume of the resevoir or changing the diameter of the plumbing will effect the surge strength as well.

MarkS
11/26/2000, 05:53 PM
Thank you for posting this! I was in the process of designing a standard Carlson Surge device for my 55 gallon. This will cost me a fraction of what I was going to spend since I don't need a pump, complex plumbing or an acrylic box. :D I was going to have my 55 drilled anyway(it's empty), so this works out perfect.

Just a couple of questions though. If it is so powerful, what are the chances of it falling off of the bulkheads? It would be difficult to use a threaded bulkhead with this design and slip bulkheads would require glue. This means that once it is installed, it can never be removed without destroying the device. Would there be any chance of it shaking and breaking the glass? How would I eliminate these problems?

Thanks,
Mark

MarkS
11/27/2000, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by MarkS

Just a couple of questions though. If it is so powerful, what are the chances of it falling off of the bulkheads? It would be difficult to use a threaded bulkhead with this design and slip bulkheads would require glue. This means that once it is installed, it can never be removed without destroying the device. Would there be any chance of it shaking and breaking the glass? How would I eliminate these problems?

Anyone?

Thanks,
Mark

WWiley
11/27/2000, 10:17 AM
If you used say a 1.25 threaded bulkhead than 1.5" union would fit on the outside of the bulkhead and only add 4-6" in lenth.
Unions and treaded would be the only way go. It seems to me you also want to make sure can plug the bulkheads. If it can happen it will.WWiley

Tactstat
11/27/2000, 06:03 PM
Is the opening on the top inverted U of pipe set 2 below or above the water level (before/after surge?)

ie where should it be without the thing surging?

-Tac

Aquaman
11/27/2000, 06:13 PM
You might want to take a look at this product as well. I have two of the 4gal surges and recomend them highly!

also have pics on my site.

http://www.lavoietechnology.s5.com/surge.html

Snailman
11/27/2000, 06:34 PM
I have the ScaScope RCSD article in jpg format if any one wants them just email me.

MarkS
11/27/2000, 09:12 PM
Aquaman, thanks, but I want to DIY. ;)

Snailman, you have mail.

Mark

Planoi
11/27/2000, 10:12 PM
Aquaman-

On Lavoie's site they say that their Silent Surge is not a Carlson type, so I am just wondering what technique do they use in their product?