PDA

View Full Version : new clown to tank

NateEvans
12/14/2006, 11:27 AM
Hi everyone-

I recently purchased a percula clown (4 days ago) for my 29g tank. The tank has been up and running for 7 weeks, water quality has been tested and is great. I have 45# cured LR, large clean-up crew and a cleaner shrimp.

My question relates to the health/behavior of the clown. Sometimes he eats a little, sometimes not at all. He likes to swim underneath 1 rock and really never comes out. He has the characteristic swim pattern of the clown, good fin extension but it bothers me that he doesn't leave that one spot too often. A LFS said that the clowns are often scared when entering a new tank and it takes a week or 2 before they acclimate. I also bought some garlic flakes that are supposed to help with parasites, but he doesn't really eat this. Does anyone have any advice, opinion on the clown's behavior? I'm just worried that he won't eat enough over the next week or so . . . Thanks for any info!

gabegmonkey
12/14/2006, 01:39 PM
My Tomato Clown did something similar... eventually She was all over the tank... try Feeding some frozen foods to start with... mine now eats flake voraciously but was hesitant to eat flake at first...

TOURKID
12/14/2006, 02:19 PM
my clown would eat nothing but mysis at first. it took her a long time but now she'll eat anything i put in the tank

just keep an eye on it, if its stops eatting all together, starts breathing heavy, has stringy poop, has white dots on its skin, or peeling mucus from its body, you have a problem.

I know the temtation was to great to quarentine your first fish, but you really should think about qting from now on. if by chance your clown had a parasite, you'd have to qt it anyway AND leave the tank fish-less for at least 6 weeks anyways. ;)