PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to sunpod on my 20g?

Xandernfs
12/13/2006, 07:15 PM
I was wondering if i would benefit upgrading from my 130w PC unit to a 150w sunpod on my 20? Would i have to run the tank without a glass top? How would the heat issue be? I plan to keep softies and LPS..... need some info please.

Thanks,
Xander

Lagger
12/13/2006, 07:32 PM
Yes, it is an upgrade. However, is the return on your cost worth it for softies & LPS, thats up to you.

I'd also suggest looking at pendants like PFO Mini's, Reefstar & Aqua Medic's over the sunpod.

And you will have to run without the glass top if you do decide to upgrade, otherwise, heat will be an issue. GL :thumbsup:

Dave2
12/14/2006, 12:53 AM
The 150 watt would be much better. Get a good 14k bulb(actually the sunpod comes with a 14k). It will make your LPS and softies look alot better, and most likely grow faster.

I would go without the glass tops to allow for evap=cooling the tank down. If head becomes and issue, a $10 clamp on fan from the local hardware store, blowing across the surface, will solve it

Xandernfs
12/14/2006, 10:06 AM
i'm just debating if its worth it? Can i keep LPS (brains open and maze, blasto, or maze) on the base of my tank? Because i don't think i really wanna keep SPS coral due to the lack of flow in my tank. Will the Mh be a better buy. I'm new to the whole lighting area, so please help :/

Baalz
12/14/2006, 11:09 AM
The 150w is worth it.

AdriftQuasar
12/14/2006, 11:28 AM
While the wattage is only 20w higher, the intensity of the light from the MH is much greater and your corals will photosynthesisze better. It's like keeping a house plant in doors in the winter and outside during the summer. You should notice a big difference.

Snowreefer
12/14/2006, 11:49 AM
I have much better growth since i switched from the PC's to the sunpod on my 29

sjm1978
12/14/2006, 01:58 PM
i say go with the sunpod 150w im upgrading to it for christmas rightnow i have a orbit 2x 40w PC fixture. its a nice light but i want that shimmer effect. im buying mine from http://www.petmountain.com/product/light-fixtures/504251/20-1x150w-14k-1060-.html and if you enter this code XMAS you get 7% off also its free shipping.

Dr.FuManchu
12/19/2006, 11:17 AM
Sunpods are great. I would take one over a pendant any day. You can place it right on the tank. You have blue and white LEDS to simulate dawn to dusk. It comes with a fan already installed. All around a great light for your money. I love mine and will more than likely get another one for my next tank. By the way I have the 70w over my 10g AGA. No heat issues, but I wish I had gone w/ the 150 since I keep SPS in it.

Lagger
12/19/2006, 11:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8784275#post8784275 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dr.FuManchu
Sunpods are great. I would take one over a pendant any day. You can place it right on the tank. You have blue and white LEDS to simulate dawn to dusk. It comes with a fan already installed. All around a great light for your money. I love mine and will more than likely get another one for my next tank. By the way I have the 70w over my 10g AGA. No heat issues, but I wish I had gone w/ the 150 since I keep SPS in it.

Yeah, it's a nice light. But most installs I've seen are with the mouting legs which puts the light like 3" off the water. Too close IMO.

Pendants are more versatile as you can attach to canopys, add more for future upgrades or put on a light mover if you ever intend to spend that much $$$.

Either would be a good choice.

Nick A
12/19/2006, 12:22 PM
Just the thread I was looking for. I'm also getting a 150w sunpod for my 20g and hope to have it at the end of the month.:D. Has anyone ever had a bad experience with a sunpod?