PDA

View Full Version : anyone using the Pacific Coast CL 85 Chiller?

mdrumm
12/13/2006, 05:35 PM
If so, can you tell me if there is a specified inlet tube and specified outlet? The directions make no mention which leads me to believe that it doesnt matter but it has not cooled the tank either. Thanks.

GoodBorg3
12/14/2006, 12:18 AM
That's not good news. I hope someone else has something to contribute to this thread. I am considering one of these. What size is your tank? Is the chiller rated to handle your tank (ie- your not using it on too big of a tank)?

NanoReefer53
12/14/2006, 12:33 AM
I don't believe it matters which direction.

I'm using is on my 12g Nanocube and the effectiveness is just barely acceptable. It can't pull down heat quickly but it can maintain it at a lower temperature if the ambient is too high. For example, during the summer heat wave my room was 102º and the chiller was able to keep my tank at 86º which isn't too bad. When the room temperature is mild, the chiller will do fine at keeping the tank from overheating from strong lighting and such.

As I stated, the chiller isn't quick at pulling down temperatures so if you tank gets hot, the chiller will stay on for a while. That becomes a problem for the stock fan because it's really loud so I swapped it out for a VanTech Stealth fan which is a lot quieter.

On the bright side right now since the weather chiller is a lot cooler, it does a great job at heating. No need for a probe type heater in the tank.

I honestly wouldn't use it on anything bigger than a 15g if you have MH's or a long of strong lighting without tons of ventilation.

mdrumm
12/14/2006, 01:16 PM
I am using this in my office which has a temp of around 73 degrees. My tank is still running 83-85 degrees with this chiller. Nanoreefer, what pump are you using? I tried the Eheim 1048 (160gph) which did nothing, so now I am trying a rio90 (80gph). So far, not to pleased with this.

NanoReefer53
12/14/2006, 01:47 PM
I'm running it inline with a Filstar XP1 which is rated at 250gph. Of course after the head loss, loops in the hoses, and pulling water through the tons of carbon I have in the filter, the flow rate is a lot lot less.

I am not pleased with it, but I am satisfied. During the summer and warmer months it was able to keep my tank within suitable range but not completely stable at the set 80º.

What size is your tank? What's the cause for major heat?

mdrumm
12/14/2006, 02:34 PM
12 gallon aquapod...with the rio and the heater off i got it down to 78...plugged heater in set at 77 and it is climbing back up. Brand new hydor heater. That might be the problem. I recommend trying a smaller pump. That seemed to help a lot.

GoodBorg3
12/15/2006, 01:38 AM
Sounds like this thing is a waste of money. Has anyone considered an "Iceprobe" by Cool Works?

NanoReefer53
12/15/2006, 02:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8751366#post8751366 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mdrumm
12 gallon aquapod...with the rio and the heater off i got it down to 78...plugged heater in set at 77 and it is climbing back up. Brand new hydor heater. That might be the problem. I recommend trying a smaller pump. That seemed to help a lot.
No heater is needed, the CL-85 has a built in heater.
Although the Filstar is rated at 250gph, with all the turns and head loss, it's about 100gph so it's fine.

I'm not sure if an Iceprobe would be all the much better. The CL-85 has a 85w cooling capacity while the Iceprobe has 50w. I chose the CL-85 because of the higher capacity and plus I didn't have to drill the tank for the Iceprobe.