PDA

View Full Version : NANO CUBE 29 GAL and UV Sterilizer any SUGGESTIONS?

al aziz85
12/13/2006, 03:14 AM
hello..i was thinking of putting one for my 29 gallon oceanic? but i am not sure whether it is neccessary or not. If anyone has any suggestions or has one or had one and has some advice please let me know thanks! i have a reef system set up and fish...

Mr.Parkes
12/13/2006, 05:57 PM
hey Ive herd that the UV sterilizers can strip the small microorganisms
from your water that are beneficial to reef system set ups.

Smoke and Water
12/13/2006, 08:43 PM
After battling three different outbreaks of ich and losing several of my fish I started looking into the UV sterilizers. From what I was told it will not harm what needs to be there. I am currently running the corallife 9watt turbo twist. I have yet to see any ill affect on my reef, but I have not had another issue with ich or other parasites. As a bonus my water has never been clearer due to no algae. In my opinion it is nothing but beneficial and I will continue to run until I can find proof of harm. Just my opinion and experience.

fishfanatic06
12/13/2006, 10:18 PM
In the wild fish don't live in a sterile environment. They are exposed to diseases and bacterias of all sorts all the time. Fish not exposed to a natural reef environment have a weak immune system, since they have not built there immune system up. All sorts of beneficial bacteria are killed off too. If you have problems with algae a UV sterilizer is not going to be the best solution. There is most likely something wrong with your water chemistry (high nitrates, high phospates). Bottom line a UV sterilizer is not neccesary.

al aziz85
12/13/2006, 10:30 PM
yah i dont have any problems but i just wanted to see if it would do any harm or any good to add one?

fishfanatic06
12/13/2006, 10:37 PM
I would not get one if I were you. It is just not natural. If your fish have diseases it is probably because of the tank's water parameters.

fishfanatic06
12/13/2006, 10:38 PM
BTW, Are you part of RMRC?

al aziz85
12/13/2006, 10:39 PM
thanks for the advise on that fishfanatic06...also no i am not part of the RMRC would be nice but nope