PDA

View Full Version : Too much PC light for a 33L?

ohclereef01
12/13/2006, 12:09 AM
I bought a 4x 65w PC fixture for plans of a 33L..

What do you guys think?

I know the numbers are high for w/per gal.. Should I only run a single pair of bulbs? Will heat be an issue? (no canopy "open top")

powdertang05
12/13/2006, 12:44 AM
no thats fine if you hang them but really you shouldent go by the wats per gal thing it really does not work. as for the real rule its for sps's or calms use t-5's or a MH for every 24" or so if its just for fish you can do pc's they just dont have much light too them so you can keep zoo's or softies only reallyl.

ohclereef01
12/13/2006, 11:18 AM
'bump'

260watts (I know its "only PC" light) but.. the tank is only 12" deep (factor in sand ~10").. No one thinks there will be any issues?
If so -great!

ohclereefO2
12/13/2006, 04:26 PM
I think it should be fine. Tank is short so grow things that like light and build a shady spot for things that don't!

ACBlinky
12/13/2006, 05:12 PM
I seriously doubt you'll have issues with overlighting, but you may have problems with heat. I'm assuming the bulbs will be staggared, since the tank is 36" long and the bulbs are 24" or so, and some will be actinics which don't count much (if at all) when calculating the amount of lighting you have.

Powdertang is right, it's really not that much light and wpg calculations don't work -- if a coral needs a certain amount of light to thrive, it really doesn't matter how many gallons the tank holds, it still needs the same amount. The only real consideration is depth, and you have that on your side with a shallow tank. You'll need to elevate the fixture to keep heat down, so you'll probably have the light about 12"-18" from your corals, depending on their placement.

If you want lighting with fewer limitations, T5s would work well, but your PCs should support zoas, shrooms and most LPS just fine.