PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my 33L... *pics*

SHOmuchFUN
12/12/2006, 09:41 PM
Well, I had a tank rented to me for free that fits on an old 55gal stand I had built by a good friend.

Going to be softies/LPS for the most part, may have some SPS frags like some digitata/millepora... Maybe a clam :D I think my lighting will be more than plenty.

Anyway, setup is fairly simple:
2 maxijet 900s, 2x54w T-5's, 250w titanium heater with temp control... That's it!

Anyway, here are some pictures:
The filling:
http://www.uvm.edu/%7Eeengstro/33L/33L%20001.jpg

Line coming from the RODI under the sink. Also hooked up the RO faucet to the sink. Great for drinking water.
http://www.uvm.edu/%7Eeengstro/33L/33L%20005.jpg

Added 30-35 pounds of live rock:
http://www.uvm.edu/%7Eeengstro/33L/33L_rock%20001.jpg
Left side:
http://www.uvm.edu/%7Eeengstro/33L/33L_rock%20005.jpg
Right side:
http://www.uvm.edu/%7Eeengstro/33L/33L_rock%20006.jpg

And a picture of the stand/canopy/tank in the dining room:
http://www.uvm.edu/%7Eeengstro/33L/33L_rock%20012.jpg

Feel free to comment on the aquascaping.
Any ideas on what to stock it with???

BLKTANG
12/12/2006, 10:05 PM
how deep is that tank?

SHOmuchFUN
12/12/2006, 10:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8739026#post8739026 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EXPEDITION
how deep is that tank?

12"

BLKTANG
12/12/2006, 10:16 PM
i like !!

did u make the canopy,& stand?

cbonito
12/12/2006, 10:20 PM
Man, all I see when I look at that tank is wall to wall colored stags with a dual 150watt hqi hanging fixture.

The hood makes the tank look so well, short. I would definitely go with an open top. It is so much cooler and cooler to view from above as well.

Just my two. I like that tank!

akbuuur
12/12/2006, 10:54 PM
thats a really nice tank i like the 33 alot

icenine2005
12/12/2006, 11:16 PM
I love the tank.... the hood does kinda make it look a little stubby though.
Real nice job with the 'scape too.

Ding2daDong
12/12/2006, 11:29 PM
Finally a fellow reefer makes a reef tank out of the 33g long aga aquarium! I just bought one recently and after searching and searching never found anyone that has done a tank build or any information on them. I just bought mine a week ago and plan on getting the back drilled and making an overflow. I also am drawing out the dimensions onto graph paper and building the tank myself since I am a college stuedent and well, buying a stand is a little much for me.

The tank is looking good! I also agree with the open top looks better but to each his own. I plan on getting the tek 4 bulb fixture, do you think thats to much lighting for sps/zoanthids and other misc. corals? I have some ricordeas that I plan on putting in there also but was doing to make a shadded section for the ricordeas/mushrooms. Any ideas?

Sorry, dont mean to be a thread stealer with all the questions. I will be tagging along this thread.

33g long for life lol

-Matthew

fishes2889
12/13/2006, 07:13 AM
Hey hey, i have the 33 long myself. Great tank size.

I am running an HOB overflow w/ a 10g sump and CSS 65 Skimmer w/ a Mag 7 return. I have a MJ1200 but i plan on getting the Tunze nano stream 6025 for x-mas. I am running (currently) 3x 54 watts worth of T5 but only because the other bulb broke. I still need more light with the 3 bulbs still......

Good luck with the tank! :)

Steve

SHOmuchFUN
12/13/2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone...
The stand/canopy were from a previous project that I had going. It was custom built by a friend to fit my 55gal. reef tank. The canopy was also built to hold halides for the 55, so that is why it makes the tank look so stubby! I thought about going open top, but I had already pieced together some T-5 retrofit gear, so ditching that and going with a fixture didn't really make sense.

If someone wants to trade me a light fixture for my canopy that currently has 2x54w T-5s with a 6500k and a Blue Plus bulb that could also hold 2 halides, I'd entertain those offers, but for the moment, the canopy will have to do.

As for lighting, I think the 2x54w T-5s would be plenty to keep anything, especially since it's only 12" deep. I have the T-5's pretty close to the water as well. They don't give off much heat and I mounted the lights on a T-nut track so I can push them to the back when working in the tank, which makes it a little more convenient. I DO believe that 4x54w T-5s would be too much, and certainly overkill.

Also, if you plan on having a sandbed, I don't recommend getting much more than a couple MJ900s. If I had gone with MJ1200s, I'd have sand stirring all over the place. Fishes2889 must be running a bare-bottom, especially if he plans on putting a nano stream in it.

I tested the water last night and I'm getting a small trace of ammonia from the rock I purchased from a fellow reefer. I must've had some die-off on the 2.5 hour transport back to the tank. I doubt it'll cycle long though. I already have a nice yellow toadstool on hold at the LFS and will plan on putting in a few fish.

Any ideas on the livestock list?
Was thinking of maybe doing a species tank... But I'm also a sucker for a couple clowns and a royal gramma/clown goby. :D

SHOmuchFUN
12/17/2006, 05:44 PM
Would it be wise to add clownfish first if that's what I'm going to start with?

Then I was thinking a dwarf angel, maybe a centropyge of some sort.

fishes2889
12/17/2006, 06:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8741079#post8741079 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SHOmuchFUN
Thanks for the comments everyone...
The stand/canopy were from a previous project that I had going. It was custom built by a friend to fit my 55gal. reef tank. The canopy was also built to hold halides for the 55, so that is why it makes the tank look so stubby! I thought about going open top, but I had already pieced together some T-5 retrofit gear, so ditching that and going with a fixture didn't really make sense.

If someone wants to trade me a light fixture for my canopy that currently has 2x54w T-5s with a 6500k and a Blue Plus bulb that could also hold 2 halides, I'd entertain those offers, but for the moment, the canopy will have to do.

As for lighting, I think the 2x54w T-5s would be plenty to keep anything, especially since it's only 12" deep. I have the T-5's pretty close to the water as well. They don't give off much heat and I mounted the lights on a T-nut track so I can push them to the back when working in the tank, which makes it a little more convenient. I DO believe that 4x54w T-5s would be too much, and certainly overkill.

Also, if you plan on having a sandbed, I don't recommend getting much more than a couple MJ900s. If I had gone with MJ1200s, I'd have sand stirring all over the place. Fishes2889 must be running a bare-bottom, especially if he plans on putting a nano stream in it.

I tested the water last night and I'm getting a small trace of ammonia from the rock I purchased from a fellow reefer. I must've had some die-off on the 2.5 hour transport back to the tank. I doubt it'll cycle long though. I already have a nice yellow toadstool on hold at the LFS and will plan on putting in a few fish.

Any ideas on the livestock list?
Was thinking of maybe doing a species tank... But I'm also a sucker for a couple clowns and a royal gramma/clown goby. :D

I dont think 4x54 watts would be overkill at all. The more the better. :) I personally dont think 3x54 is enough and plan on getting the last bulb for my tank.

And no i am not running BB. I have a 3-4inch SB. :) I am currently running the MJ 1200 but plan on adding the NS 6025 after i get it for x-mas. :) Then when i get that i will take the MJ out and put in a MJ 600 or 900 for more indirect flow around the tank.

Total flow right now is 300gph from the MJ, 250 or so from the AC70 and 300 from the return pipe, so, 850 total gph. Thats 25x overturn.

The flow i will have in the end is 600 from the nanostream, 200 or so from the MJ 900 or 600 , 250 or so from the AC70 and, 300 from the return which is a total of about 40x overturn. That might be too much but i can always take out the MJ.... :)

Steve