PDA

View Full Version : Bio-Spira

Bmgrocks
12/12/2006, 07:57 AM
Getting a 30 gallon SW tank today, and have used Bio Spira for Fresh Water, does it work the same for salt water

Planning on using seeded crushed coral, and some base live rock, letting that sit for a week, so itcan begin to cycle natrually, test for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrIte.

After about a week, i would introduce Bio Spira, for salt water. Bio Spira contains all the nitrifying bacteria needed to break down ammonia nitrate and nitrIte

I have used bio spira in fresh water tanks with great success. But has anyone used it in Salt water tanks?

JollyGreen
12/12/2006, 08:35 AM
I've heard you are supposed to put it in the tank when something living is in the tank like fish, I guess it would work with live rock and live sand too.

I would think live rock and sand would work just as well though.

JG

kelrn98
12/12/2006, 08:57 AM
From what I have read, crushed coral is not a good choice of substrate. It will harbor nitrates.

gh0st
12/12/2006, 10:13 AM
If you put in cured Live Rock in adequate quantity, I wouldn't worry about the BioSpira unless you want to add more sensitive fish the same day.

I'll second the Crushed Coral comment. Bare Bottom or a very shallow sand bed around the front of the rocks and BB underneath is the way to go.

jpitts101
12/12/2006, 10:29 AM
when i first put my predator tank up i added rodi water, salt and a pouch of bio spira and had a snowflake and a clownfish in there the next day. they were fine and didnt show any signs of stress other than a new fish to new tank. Although i didnt have any live rock at the time, i had several peices of holy limestone. i know it will work in that case but with live rock im not sure. i dont think it will hurt anything. bio spira is a good alternative if you are in a hurry to get your tank set up and running.
just my 2 cents

cayars
12/12/2006, 10:48 AM
I'll agree the Bio Spira Marine works very well. It's the best of the "cycle" products I've ever tried.

PS make sure you only purchase it from a place that has it refrigerated!

Ti
12/12/2006, 12:37 PM
I had a buddy who used it, it worked for him.

Bmgrocks
12/12/2006, 05:58 PM
yeah, always refridgerated. Just wondering, And i do have a Ro filter, but in maryland their are no Nitrates, NitrItes or Ammonia, in the water where i live, i've tested it with a water test strip.
Does that still mean i have to filter the water, or would i be able to put it in the tank?

bertoni
12/12/2006, 06:12 PM
I don't think there's any evidence that Bio-Spira actually does anything. I wouldn't spend the money on it. The number of good and bad stories about it are consistent with a placebo, as far as I can tell.

A good RO system should remove chloramines, metals, and other contaminants from the water. I would recommend using one for all your water. Actually, I sprung for a RO-DI unit, which does more purification.