PDA

View Full Version : What about the fission nano skimmer?

999sterling
12/11/2006, 05:35 PM
I have seen references in several threads to the Fission protien skimmer. Most references seem to not like it, but I can't find any info on why folks don't like it. I am considering getting one. So anyone who has info or especially experience please tell me;
Are they any good?

If so or if not... why?

notenoughtanks
12/11/2006, 05:50 PM
dude this thing POURS microbubbles back into your tank like crazy, just a poor design. all that holds everything in the reaction chamber from going into tank is some filter pad. wanna buy mine, I bought it and ran it for a day and lost my receipt

999sterling
12/11/2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the reply, I'm still trying to decide if I even need/want a skimmer on my new setup.

Illuminati
12/11/2006, 07:07 PM
Have you checked out the Saphire skimmers? I haven't heard many replies since they are new but that might be an option.
www.nanotuners.com has them

999sterling
12/11/2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestion and the link. I just now looked at them. They look good, except for the $89 pricetag.

Something I noticed... BOTH the Fission Nanoskimmer and the Saphire skimmer say that you can get micro bubbles in your tank when you first set the things up. But this should go away after a few days. The Fission skimmer doesn't openly advertize that fact, but if you look in the troubleshooting section under More info on Foster and Smith you can find that. Just wondering if that was the problem notenoughtanks experienced.

It sounds like you could get the same results from the Saphire skimmer. But both manufacturers say the problem would disapear with time.

Illuminati
12/11/2006, 08:39 PM
Here's a thread on the fission,

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=978818&highlight=fission+nano+skimmer

jamynsdad
12/11/2006, 09:46 PM
mine was working pretty good until just a few days ago. im not exactly sure why the bubbles are not flowing over into the holding cup. its like all this thing does now is spit out micro bubbles. does anyone have any helpful hints as to why this thing is not overflowing as it should? also, why are the microbubbles so bad?

jamynsdad
12/11/2006, 09:46 PM
mine was working pretty good until just a few days ago. im not exactly sure why the bubbles are not flowing over into the holding cup. its like all this thing does now is spit out micro bubbles. does anyone have any helpful hints as to why this thing is not overflowing as it should? also, why are the microbubbles so bad?

lisaFL
12/11/2006, 10:01 PM
I bought one for my 29g oceanic cube, and i like it. It seems to work fine here.

Jasonf08
12/11/2006, 10:23 PM
Yeah, carefull man those fissions are about as good as flushing the money down the toilet

slumpysix
12/11/2006, 10:45 PM
The sapphire has been working great on mine.

Jasonf08
12/11/2006, 10:50 PM
Im glad to hear it works on someones. Mine went in the trash after many frustrating attempts.

ZC
12/12/2006, 12:50 AM
save yourself the cash, they are pieces of JUNK!!! If you were close i'd give you mine for free!

Jasonf08
12/12/2006, 07:27 AM
I played with mine for a long time & never got it working right

999sterling
12/12/2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks for all the info and tips. I think I'll just forgo a skimmer in my 24 gal. for now. It sounds like the fussion would take to much adjusting and maintenance to get/keep it running long term.

The Sapphire looks like a good skimmer, and I've seen plenty of posts about people happy with them. But for the price I can build my self a skimmer that will work fine for what I need. So I think I'll plan on doing that.

MaryBebo
12/12/2006, 06:18 PM
I have one and thought it was doing ok...but it really wasn't. I had a sea clone 100 on my 85 and it wasn't doing the job so I bought a larger skimmer for the 85. I put the sea clone on the nano at night and the weekends. I just hang it on the front of the nano since it has the lid and.... man I am skimming now!!! haha. It may be a little much, but my tank looks great, the water is pristine now. The Fission needs to go back to the drawing board.