PDA

View Full Version : Weekly water changes - Add supplements?

Ex-Reefer
12/11/2006, 11:26 AM
For those of you who perform weekly water changes are you adding any additional supplements to your tanks? I currently change out 5 gallons once a month but plan to perform 2.5 gallon changes every week. Do I need to add superbuffer, calcium and strontium to the tank once a week along with the water change or will the new "fresh" saltwater be enough to replenish the used elements from the tank? :confused:

ezcompany
12/11/2006, 01:10 PM
depends on your salt mix and your livestock needs.
test your salt and match to ideal water params accordingly.

Smoke and Water
12/11/2006, 08:11 PM
I use test kits to monitor as much as I can. So far with my weekly changes on my Biocube I only dose once a month for calcium and other minerals. I add buffer once to twice a week along with coral vite. It may not help that the water here in Tx is harsh even RO water is lacking bad. I use Reef Crystals as my salt mix and it helps to replace some trace elements also.

All Delight
12/12/2006, 12:24 PM
I use tropic marin salt mix, so I don't add anything. We'll hardly, only ph buffer to my RO

mels95yj
12/12/2006, 02:09 PM
Only you can answer this question. What's your current levels? What are your daily/weekly consumption of Ca/Alk/Mg? Don't add anything to your tank, without testing for it first, just because someone else does. I recently found out I'm using about 20ppm of Ca daily and .6ppm of Alk, so yes I add those daily and adjust accordingly to my weekly water changes. Just my $.02

Mel