PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Mandarins w/ Sea Monkey's

Bmgrocks
12/11/2006, 06:51 AM
Hey, want a mandarin, and want to be successful when it comes to feeding them

Could i start a coloney of Children's Sea Monkey's in my tank, so that it can have live food?

Or other Plankton Grow Kits ment for children?

Just wondering, seemed possible.

BiggySmalls
12/11/2006, 11:10 AM
i want a mandarin too, i am not sure but i want to know too

DJChesnutRabbit
12/11/2006, 11:19 AM
Mandrins eat pods. I'm not familiar with them eating brine shrimp. I would think they would be too large for their little mouths also.
You posting this in the nano thread which also alarms me. From what I've been told (and from experience) you need a minimum of a 55G tank that is WELL established with pods. Otherwise your going to be spending alot of money buying pods to keep a mandrin alive.
-Rabbit

Hobster
12/11/2006, 11:53 AM
How about, "JUST SAY NO"!

No, you can not successfully keep a Mandarin in a nano tank. It will starve to death no matter how you try to feed it.

AVALover5498
12/11/2006, 11:58 AM
No.

-Chris-

Timmy44221
12/11/2006, 12:24 PM
Wow people care harsh. Yes you can keep a mandrin in a nano, if you can supply it with food. You can culture your own pods in mason jars. It is definatly doable. Also they may eat baby brine.

fishdoc11
12/11/2006, 12:25 PM
[welcome]

Not really a good idea to keep a mandarin in a nano tank or to try to feed one exclusively on brine shrimp(not enough nutrients).

If you do not have a decent sized well established tank the mandarin will starve to death over a few months.

Chris

Hobster
12/11/2006, 12:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8726359#post8726359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Timmy44221
Wow people care harsh. Yes you can keep a mandrin in a nano, if you can supply it with food. You can culture your own pods in mason jars. It is definatly doable. Also they may eat baby brine.

It was not intended to be harsh. The poster is new to the hobby, starting with a nano. Had "Africans" which I gather are Chiclids that eat anything. A Mandarin would not be a good choice to start with. Even you say "if you can supply it with food"
It may eat brine but will not survive long term.

hammerswinger
12/11/2006, 01:23 PM
search google for mandarin diner, that may help you a little

GSMguy
12/11/2006, 02:05 PM
this will be an uphill battle i wouldent want a new hobbyest to be discouraged there are lots of great fish and inverts that are much easier to keep and by the way there are lots of foods they will eat but to supply them with the constant food they need you will need a huge pod population sorry

crrichey
12/11/2006, 02:16 PM
Not with brine shrimp, they are low in nutritional value. Mysis shrimp would be a better choice but the trick is to find one that will eat prepared foods. I had a scooter (similar to mandarin) that ate flake and frozen food, but it still kicked the bucket. IMO it is just one of thoughs fish that is better off in a large system.

Dr.FuManchu
12/12/2006, 01:25 PM
You could start a Sea Monkey tank, but forget about the Mandarin.

http://www.sea-monkeys.com/home.html

Brian5280
12/12/2006, 02:26 PM
Just get a 100 gallon tank and set it up for a year and then you can keep a mandarin.