PDA

View Full Version : new nano, 14 Biocube....what do you suggest I do?

sinful
12/09/2006, 08:54 PM
I bought everything today, sand, cured rock, saltwater....so its instantly cycled( so the lfs tells me). Anyway, only thing I have in there now is 20lbs LS, 12lbs LR, very small clown and 10 very small red leg hermits.

What do ya'll suggest I do next? I have read tons of threads on removing bioballs, removing sponge..etc so whats the latest trend? I have everything stock right now. I have a maxi 1200 I could change the stock pump out with, haven't yet though.

suggestions would be great, thanks all!

saltycreefer
12/09/2006, 10:36 PM
Use the maxi1200. Not too familiar with the biocube, but you could run 1/2 a poly filter in the back and a small chemi pure 5-oz.

bryan812
12/09/2006, 10:58 PM
i suggest that you start shopping at a different fish store. any store that tells you that you can add a package of crap into a tank and it be instantly cycled is full of $H!T... i hope that doesnt get me in to trouble on here but oh well. you need to have an actual natural cycle.. i would find a different store to go to. my 2 cents

SW Steve
12/10/2006, 12:31 AM
I have more LR in my BC8 (I have about 13 lbs of LR and another 1-2 lbs of rubble in the back). I think you should have about 20lbs of LR in there.

Chamber 1 - Lose the stock filter. Take the grate out of chamber 1 and fill it about half full of rubble and a 5oz bag of chemi-pure.

Chamber 2 - Yes, get rid of the bio-balls. Turn chamber 2 into a fuge with a little rubble and cheato. Mount a 6700k light to the back of the tank. (something like mine... http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=991165 OR... use chamber two for a skimmer.

Chamber 3 - Upgrade your stock pump with the maxijet and add a hydor-flo.

Hood - Add another bulb. Consider an upgrade kit from nanocustoms.