PDA

View Full Version : Help with hair algae

Xandernfs
12/09/2006, 12:16 PM
Hello, I have a 20H with an AC110 fuge and i have massive amounts of hair algae in my tank. I don't know what to do. I have 4 turbos, but they aren't doing too much.....suggestions?

jamynsdad
12/09/2006, 12:25 PM
pick up some blue legged hermits...i had some in my tank and after about a week or so the crabs completely took care of it...

drummereef
12/09/2006, 02:11 PM
Have you tested for nitrates and phosphates? Also, what is your water source - RO/DI?

NUBIANTANGLOVER
12/09/2006, 08:41 PM
I will chime in on this thread too, as I am now having the same problem. It's driving me crazy! I have carbon in bag as well as phosphate remover in a bag in the back of my chamber. I am using distilled water, as I have always used this for my aquariums--and have found DW to be successful. I use the same brand: Walmart. Jamynsdad, how many blue legged hermit crabs do you suggest for a 24g Aquapod? Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Xandernfs
12/09/2006, 10:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8714522#post8714522 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drummereef
Have you tested for nitrates and phosphates? Also, what is your water source - RO/DI?

No phosphates or Nitrates........RO/DI water is my source

jun_celis
12/09/2006, 10:29 PM
There's got to have some source of algae. Phosphate might not be showing in the test kit but I'm pretty sure it is the source. Put a phosphate reactor or phosphate sock in it to get rid of the hair algae. Pluck all those hair algae manually and also get about 20 blue leag/red leg hermit crabs. Do a weekly 5 gal water change and that should do it. It might take a couple of months but I'm pretty sure that It will calm down a bit and maybe lose it.

fuzzyt
12/09/2006, 10:43 PM
Sounds a little crazy, but there is a very active thread about using freshwater mollies to clean hair algae.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=979422

I agree that it would be better to figure out the source, but its still a good read. :)

Best of luck.

NUBIANTANGLOVER
12/09/2006, 11:10 PM
Thanks Guys! Now, I have the phosphate remover, so I am going to change it. I will also do the water change suggested as well as purchase the 20 blue leg hermit crabs. Any suggestions where to get a good deal on them online?

NUBIANTANGLOVER
12/09/2006, 11:11 PM
Also, what phosphate test kit works best?

jmicky41
12/09/2006, 11:35 PM
I had a huge hair algae outbreak for over a year. I tried all types of herbivores: rabbitfish, yellow tang, a gang of scarlet hermits, turbos, astreas, powder blue tang, and a sea hare - which didn't last too long. I think that herbivores can help control a minor outbreak, but not a large one. For me getting nutrients under control was the key. I always had an RO and figured that must be good enough, because the water always tested zero for nitrates and phosphates. When I bought a TDS meter I learned the RO was missing quite a lot. So I added a DI to the RO. After several twenty percent water changes and some manual siphoning of larger strands, the hair algae went away and hasn't been seen since. Some phosphate remover and rinsing frozen food before feeding can't hurt either. Other things that didn't work were taking out the rock and scrubbing it (looked great for a week or two) and changing out the old bulbs for new ones. As for a phophate kit I like the Salifert one. The DD kit or a colorimeter are better, but quite costly.