PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Algae Options

dbraun15
12/09/2006, 09:32 AM
Are there any other options for removal of bubble alage besides an emerald crab(I have one, but doesn't seem to be touching it)? I have tried to manually remove some, but have busted a couple and it is spreading pretty quickly--any ideas? I have tried the search option, but it has been down--

Illuminati
12/09/2006, 11:23 AM
I found it to be impossible to deal with and had to do something crazy to get rid of it.

I took out half of my rock, let it sit out for a day in the sun so it dried out. Filled up a 5 gallon bucket with a bleach and water solution, soaked the rock for an hour (until it turned white). Rinsed it off real well with a hose and let it dry out inside for a few days. Took a new bucket, used the waste water from my RO/DI and soaked the rock in that. I did daily 100% water changes for a week, the bleach leeches out of the rock that way.
Took it out and let it dry again for 3-4 more days and added it back to the tank.

You can see it here:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/colinadam/tank101820012.jpg

Other than this and the emerald crabs (which are hit ot miss) there isn't much you can do except manual removal.

randt122
12/10/2006, 01:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8713734#post8713734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by colinadam
I found it to be impossible to deal with and had to do something crazy to get rid of it.

I took out half of my rock, let it sit out for a day in the sun so it dried out. Filled up a 5 gallon bucket with a bleach and water solution, soaked the rock for an hour (until it turned white). Rinsed it off real well with a hose and let it dry out inside for a few days. Took a new bucket, used the waste water from my RO/DI and soaked the rock in that. I did daily 100% water changes for a week, the bleach leeches out of the rock that way.
Took it out and let it dry again for 3-4 more days and added it back to the tank.

You sure did the most extreme thing!@!@! I'd be worried though about a small amount of bleach leeching back. Glad to see that your tank's doing fine. I would take apart all the rock and manually pick/scrub them and wash them in a separate container.