PDA

View Full Version : Planning a cube

mikeosoft
12/07/2006, 05:49 PM
I’ve been planning on setting up a small cube reef tank and I have some questions. I know this is kind of long, but I really want to make sure I do things correctly.

First of all, I’m looking for something in the 29-40gal range. I would prefer the tank to be drilled and plumbed into a 20gal sump where I can put my skimmer and setup a refugium. I would like the entire setup to be nice looking and as silent running as possible. This means building a nice stand and possibly a hood. I would like the system to be relatively low maintenance as far as reefs go. I can handle weekly water changes, daily feedings, but nothing too crazy. I would also like to be able to get the tank, stand, hood (if needed) and lighting for around $350-$500 (the cheaper the better). I already have the sump, pumps, skimmer, etc.

I would like to be able to keep different types of corals, some softies, LPS, and maybe SPS; but nothing too difficult or high maintenance. I would also like to add a pair of clowns, a goby or something and of course the usual clean-up crew.

I’m torn between buying a Bio-cube 29 and drilling it, or getting plain glass/acrylic tank, drilling it and adding my own lighting, etc.

Now for a few questions:

Will it be worth it to buy the Bio-cube and drill it or am I just wasting my money? I get mixed opinions from my local LFS’s on whether it’s worth it to drill a Bio-cube. Also, will the Bio-cube give me sufficient lighting for the type of system I would like to keep? The costs involved with this setup would be approximately $250 for the bio-cube and $100 for the stand, so around $350.

If I go with a plain tank and set everything up myself, how will this compare in cost? I’m guessing I would go with a metal halide setup around 150watts. Will having a more powerful lighting setup restrict me from keeping any of the lower-light corals? As for the costs associated with this, I really have no idea.

I live in the Detroit, Michigan area and our water here is pretty good. All of my previous SW experience has been with relatively low-light, mostly FOWLR systems and I did not have any problems. Does anyone have some insight as to if I will need a RO/DI unit?

Illuminati
12/07/2006, 08:02 PM
There is someone on a local forum who also is on here who drilled his biocube.
Doubt you could keep SPS in it as it is just PC lighting.

It's also redundant. The nice things about all in ones is being able to hide equipment which you will be able to do with the sump, unless you like the look of the biocube (I prefer the all in one cubes over regular tanks).

You would be better off finding maybe a 29 gallon with stand, drilling that and spending the bulk of your money on MH lighting if you cannot live without SPS.
If you want to do softies and LPS you could do that with the biocube.

I'd get an RO/DI. You are investing all of this time and money in a setup why skimp. Either check out E-bay or get one at The Filter Guys.

mikeosoft
12/08/2006, 07:08 AM
After doing some more research I think I've decided to go with a custom glass cube, just so my lighting options aren't limited. Probably something around 40 gallons. Will a 150w MH setup be enough for this?