PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Iwaki Pump Question

RandalB
12/07/2006, 04:08 PM
Hi all,
Recently I bought a NIB Iwaki MD-100 RT from a guy off Ebay. It was advertised as a Japanese motor pump. It arrived today and turns out to be a Japanese Domestic Model pump rated at 200VAC not an American model 115VAC.

Now, I happen to have a 220VAC line in the immediate area of the fish basement and could easily run a line for pump, but I have a couple of Questions maybe someone could answer for me:

1) Can I operate the pump at all on 220VAC without smoking it?

2) Could I put a resistor somewhere inline to drop the voltage?

3) Should I just try to get my $$ back? The guy misled me completely on the auction.

Iwaki USA says they don't recommend running it on 220 but that may just be for liability....

I appreciate any and all input, I'm feeling a little burned up at the moment and I am ready to charge back the guy on my CC/Paypal. He led me to believe that it was a 110 unit.

Thanks in advance,
RandalB

tkeracer619
12/07/2006, 04:37 PM
I did some searching, doesnt look compatible. Might be able to get a converter but..... seems like too much, and too many things that could go wrong for a fish pump.

That sucks, sorry the ebay failed you, it has failed me before.

Unfortunatly for you, paypal is a joke, you cant charge them back via your credit card because you didnt pay the guy you paid paypal. Good luck with paypal, it took me months to get money back and the guy never shipped the item. You will get $20 bucks back if your lucky.

Paypal is the biggest scam on the net, it makes me sick. They charge 5% now. They don't give you anything....... a lot of credit cards charge the same amount and give you thousands in credit. Paypal takes your money, ruins the protection your bank provides you, charges 5% then hands the money back over.

RandalB
12/07/2006, 09:02 PM
Well, worst case, I run it 220 till it burns up. The Guy from Iwaki said it will shorten the service life but that's all I could get from him...

RandalB

tkeracer619
12/07/2006, 09:08 PM
hmm, did you try to contact paypal yet. I know its a long shot but might as well try.

Who knows though, it might be like putting an icecap on a NO bulb... i doubt it but who knows. You might turbocharge it =].

kimoy
12/09/2006, 12:16 AM
are you sure that it is a 200VAC not 210 or 220. the reason i as i i am from asia and as far as i know they use 220 vac out there. might wanna double check on that. but if it is in fact a 200vac, you will burn the motor. maybe as soon as you plug it in or down the road.

aaronpentz
12/09/2006, 09:54 AM
Most electrical components are able to run within the +/- 10%

And I dont think that I have ever seen a 220 line or any line for that matter come in at exactly what its supposed to be. I wouldnt be too concerned with the voltage as I would be with the htz reading. Just make sure that it can run on 60 htz.

Aaron

RandalB
12/09/2006, 01:39 PM
It's definately a 200VAC unit for Japanese service. The Scumbag I bought it from pasted the sticker from a MD-100RT on top of the Japanese characters that state it's a 100F. A call to Iwaki (Nice People BTW) cleared it up for me. I have a Paypal dispute for Not the Same Item that was auctioned going right now.

Iwaki says there is no problem running it 60Hz...

I appreciate all the help guys/gals...
RandalB