PDA

View Full Version : Squarespot anthias

Gluestick
12/04/2006, 05:46 PM
There is a gorgeous squarespot anthias at this nasty LFS where I live. If I were to buy him, he would have to be QTed. I just want to know, since I know very little about anthias, and don't even know if he'll still be there (he'll probably die there...) It's been there since Wednesdayt. Are they hard to keep? What are the chances of him surviving QT? There are no signs of disease, but he is stressed, there is no where for him to hide in the small tank. Can you keep just one or do they have to be in shoals?

JamesJR
12/05/2006, 01:18 AM
Squarespots can be pretty tricky fish to keep. But, I sold a few and saved one for our store that did fine. From my observation, they do better than some of the difficult fish like the purple queens. I think the problem is just being able to get them to eat enough because they get pretty big and need lots of room.
They are also really pretty shy when they come in and I would throw in some places for them to hide. I think a 90 gallon would be a little small for one and you may want to try an easier anthias to start out with.

Gluestick
12/05/2006, 03:24 PM
Okay thanks for the info! I just feel so bad for it.

SDguy
12/05/2006, 06:02 PM
Unfortunately, buying it may just prompt that "nasty" LFS to get another one, so it's sometimes better to leave it where it is. Sad but true.

Gluestick
12/05/2006, 07:43 PM
you're right...good point.

KingOfJericho
12/06/2006, 11:20 AM
I had one that lasted about 30 seconds before neing swallowed whole by a snowflake moray... the second one I purchased 4 years later was the most beautiful I had ever seen but it didn't eat for 2 weeks so I brought him back to the LFS where he lived out his last few days. I have a female that lasted about 6 months and died along with a few other fish over a 3 day period (still not sure what happened there). I have had great success with Bartletts and Squammis but little success with squares... especially males.