PDA

View Full Version : Nano feeding and waterchange question

fast94m
12/03/2006, 11:35 PM
So I setup a eclipse system 3 gallon nano about 3 weeks ago. I fitted a 36w pc light on top, 25w heater, aquaclear 301 powerhead w/ cut nozzle for dispersed flow, and added about 4-5 lbs of live rock. I used live sand and water from my main display so there was a minimal cycle. I currently have small frags of green star polyps, yellow polyps and zoas along w/ 3 cerith snails in it.

My question is if there is no fish to feed in the tank, should i worry about feeding my corals? I prob wont introduce any fish because the tank is so small. I contemplated a clown goby but it would just complicate the simplicity of the tank w/ feeding/filtration/etc.

Also with water changes, would it be best to change out a .5 gallon from my stable and mature main tank or .5 gallon of fresh saltwater?

I'm new to this nano thing and it seems to be doin ok so far, but i dont know what will happen in long term if i dont feed it etc. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'll post a thread w/ pix soon detailing the setup and stuff.

Aliie
12/06/2006, 08:22 PM
I would like for you to get the answers to your Q: so I am bumping your thread.

All Delight
12/06/2006, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't feed anything in there. No need to, it'll only complicate things.

I'd change about 1/4 to 1/3 of a gallon once every 10 days with new salt water.

Mark426
12/06/2006, 10:05 PM
I would change 10-20% every week with fresh seawater to replace the elements that your corals consume. Thats consensus from all the nano sites visit, with fish or not.

fast94m
12/07/2006, 01:37 AM
thank you for the replies. I'm taking your advice and will do .5 gallon water changes of saltwater that has been mixed and heated for a week. I'll keep everyone updated on its long term growth/health. Right now the brown diatoms just receded and the rock is starting to get some nicer colors.

Aliie
12/07/2006, 06:29 AM
Should planmkton need to be added for them to feed on? I know everyone said no, but is that to actual for or plankton also?

Spracklcat
12/07/2006, 09:17 AM
How can you keep a system with mouth feeding organisms and snails without feeding it? Yes, one could argue that photosynthetic corals will survive with no feeding, but if it's got a mouth, there's a reason :). Also, snails do well in large tanks because they are picking up detritus, algae, leftover food and fish waste. with no fish...no food...no waste...they will starve.

Now I'm sure there are plenty of systems that do well on minimal feeding, but again--do you want your corals to live, or to flourish?

I don't think feeding phyto is a bad idea at all, as long as you monitor the system well, especially at the beginning, to make sure you aren't feeding so much that the system is overwhelmed with nutrients (algae growth may be a good indicator of that). and if you do large, frequent water changes, that will be your excess nutrient -export.