PDA

View Full Version : What else do i need? Fuge BC29?

Jasonf08
12/03/2006, 03:54 PM
Before i begin, lemme say that i have a new bc29 cycling. I have chamber holding chaeto with two 5watt submerible lights, chamber two holding my 100w heater & tunze 9002 nano skimmer, & chamber 3 holding the return pump & purigen.

My question concerns the fuge in chamber 1.

I have made the fuge in efforts to control my nitrates on my new setup. My old tank had huge nitrate problems that never bottomed out. THis new tank has a 3.5" sand bed & i just put all of the 30lbs of lalo rock i ordered in the display area. So i should have sufficient rock. my question is do i need to put LR rubble in my fuge/sand/ or miracle mud/ or nothing other than chaeto in my fuge area?

I would like to get as much possible nitrate extraction as possible. What would the benefits of putting the other substrates in?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

GSMguy
12/03/2006, 07:38 PM
just to grow cheato all you need is light no need for sand or mud if you have extra room you can put rubble in there ive heard that mud has minerals in it trace minerals and such but also has about a 6 month lifespan and rubble just adds more bio filtration how long have you been cycling that tank jason?

Jasonf08
12/03/2006, 07:54 PM
Well the tank has been up for almost 2 months, & i just put all the LR in the Tank on Thursday. Unfortunataly its not cured LR but its awsome. I bought the rock from drfosters & went with the 30 lbs of Lalo. Im really happy with it. It came with some sps corals & some really cool colored coraline.

cubanheat1
12/04/2006, 09:31 AM
How about carbon in a refuge?Does this effect its purpose?ivw used chemi-pure im my tanks with great results,but now i have a refuge on my 29g w/no carbon.