PDA

View Full Version : Flow in a BC29?

Ex-Reefer
12/03/2006, 03:52 PM
Is anyone having trouble with cyano in their BC 29? All of my water parameters are in check and the tank only has one small pink skunk clownfish in it with an assortment of corals. The cyano tends to gather in the front right corner (the fartherst point from the pump outlet).
The LFS mentioned that the flow in the tank might not be enough to get around the ~30lbs. of live rock. They suggested a secondary wavemaker which I dont want to add because I dont want all of that equipment in the tank.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have considered purchasing one of the rotating deflectors for the stock output but I am not for sure if this would weaken the flow to the tank even more. Let me know what you think.:confused:

Lakeside518
12/03/2006, 06:51 PM
Have you tested your phosphate levels?

What are you using for water? Best to use RO/Di water with a 0 TDS. If you do not have a TDS meter invest in one;)

Some larger nano cube members have drilled a hole in the rear section for an extra MJ powerhead.

Are you using the stock pump? Could upgrade to a higher flow return pump as well and do a mod with dual outlet nozzles using lockline.

GSMguy
12/03/2006, 07:08 PM
there is so much you can do without going to an expensive wave maker your corals will thank you if you get more flow

Ex-Reefer
12/03/2006, 08:25 PM
All of my water parameters are in check (including phosphate levels). I use Ro/DI water for all top-off water and water changes. The tank has been up and running for about 1.5 months now. I dont necessarily want to do any modifications to the tank which would require removing and or replacing any of the stock equipment. I like the clean look of not having any additional powerheads in the tank.
Do any of you recommend of the flow diverting ends that can be placed on the stock output nozzle?

Ex-Reefer
12/07/2006, 08:45 PM
Suggestions...Anyone.....Suggestions?

Illuminati
12/07/2006, 08:59 PM
Get phosban, it comes with a mesh media bag, put the bag in the back chamber. You have phosphates but they are undetectable because the cyano is using it.

I had the same problem, phosban knocked it out in no time.

Ex-Reefer
12/07/2006, 09:06 PM
I have a small amount of chemipure under the drip plate in the second chamber and a bag of purigen in the thrid chamber, will it be ok to add the phosban to this as well.
Also, do you feel that it is solely a problem with some phosphates or a combination of low water flow? Thank you for your help.

Smoke and Water
12/07/2006, 09:08 PM
I am currently running the same set up and I am not having issues with Cyano. I did about 2 1/2 months after set up go through a bout of cyano, but it cleared up with more frequent water changes. I currently change about 2 to 2 1/2g a week. I have the stock diverter on my outlet into the tank and have it pointing just off the front left corner if you are looking at the tank. I have a high fish and coral load so if it were to pop up it should happen in my tank. The only mod I have done so far is add a light to the top and cut out part of the wall at the intake over flow before the the bio ball chamber. Hope some of my rambling helps.

Ex-Reefer
12/07/2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the reply, I am hoping that the cyano is just a side effect of using tap water for the initial fill-up on the tank. I have performed about three 5-gallon water changes with ro/di water for all of my current water changes. I could not transport all of the water for the initial fill, so I was forced to use tap water. The cyano is only in one portion of the tank (right front corner) and everything is doing well in the tank. Hopefully with more time it will clear. I will start doing bi-weekly water changes instead of monthly, do you think this will help out?

Smoke and Water
12/07/2006, 09:27 PM
If you are not running a skimmer I would recommend as frequent on the water changes as you can. Like I said I do mine every week just to be on the safe side. How long has your tank been set up? Mine took about four months to work all of the kinks out for good.

Ex-Reefer
12/07/2006, 09:38 PM
The tank has only been up and running for about 2 months now. I have a very light fish load with only one pink skunk clownfish and only a few corals; frogspawn, zoos, yellow leather, xenia, about 16 snails and 2 cerith snails.

I think I'm going to try and do without the addition of a skimmer. I agree with you though, I need to get on a more frequent water change schedule to ensure the success of the tank

Smoke and Water
12/07/2006, 09:55 PM
I am not running a skimmer as of yet. I seem to be doing fine with just the water changes. I have a Scooter Blenny, Oscellaris Clown, 2 Rainfordi gobies, and a Coral Beauty. I also am running way more coral than I can write in here. As you can see I am seriously stocked. Proper feeding and dosing with regular water changes has been the key for me so far.

Illuminati
12/07/2006, 10:43 PM
Ex-Reefer,

Do you have any sponges in the back chambers? If so how often do you rinse it?

I use filter floss instead of the sponge, do 5 gallon waterchanges weekly with RO.
I also have chemi-pure, purigen & phosban in the back chambers w/o problems.

Ex-Reefer
12/08/2006, 08:46 AM
I am running the system completely stock with the original filter in the first chamber. I rinse this filter with tap water everyday to remove some of the buildup on it.

The blue sponge that is in the thrid chamber is still in place and looks to be relatively clean, should I rinse this sponge as well on a regular basis?

Also, when I currently change 5 gallons of the tank water on a monthly basis I add to the tank Kent SuperBuffer, Turbo Calcium and Turbo Strontium. If I begin to do weekly water changes do I still need to add these supplements since the water will always be relatively "fresh" with the increased water changes?:confused:

macperry
12/08/2006, 04:04 PM
I have been trying to get rid of red slime in my 12g nano for the last couple of months by changing flow direction and strength. I did the maxi900 upgrade last week....much better flow...still red slime. Finally went to the LFS and was told that RedSlime Control from Blue Life USA was getting great results. Got some and dosed the tank today...i'll keep everyone posted on the results. Phosban is great for removing phosphates, which lead to hair algea, but red slime is actually a cyano bacteria...so it needs an anti bacterial agent.

Hobby Experience: 30 yrs FW/8 mos SW
Current Tanks: 12g Nano
Interests: Mustangs,airplanes, the ocean, aquariums

Ex-Reefer
12/10/2006, 06:24 PM
-Macperry, Thanks for the reply and for making a very good point. I think I am going to have to break down and put some chemi-clean in the tank. I have had good results with this product in the past, I just didn't want to medicate the tank if I could avoid it. Let me know how your product turns out.

Ex-Reefer
12/11/2006, 08:36 AM
Another option that I was considering thanks to seeing the idea on many other people's tanks is upgrading the stock return pump in the biocube. I have two MJ 1200's laying around that I took out of my 90-gallon. Would it be an advantage to replace the stock return pump with one of these? I am not for sure of the flow rate of the stock pump?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/507/111948Full_Tank__.jpg