PDA

View Full Version : Need nano help

gonzoblaze
12/03/2006, 02:15 AM
Hey guys
I have a 10 gal tank that I want to turn into a reef but it’s so hard to choose what to do for lighting and filtration.

There are so many ways to them up. I have some DIY plans to turn an Aqua Clear filter into a Refugium.

But I need some suggestions for lighting, is there any lights made for a 10 gal reef?

And if I have a Refugium is it still nesasery to have another filter?

Any input will help?

ccorpse27
12/03/2006, 03:11 AM
Hopefully I can give you some helpful advice. Yes they do make lighting fixtures that are 20\" wide in power compact lighting. I recommend a 70 watt metal halide pendant for lighting. You can also retrofit into a canopy. This is a little more money than a power compact but is higher quality lighting. You can cut corners here and there in this hobby but lighting is one area where you want to buy the best you can afford.

A converted Aquaclear filter into a refugium is a great idea and if you use the AQ 110, the largest one they make, it can provide most if not all of your water current as well. That depends on what coral you plan on keeping but it should be sufficient to start.

Your live rock is your filtration - that means it holds the bacteria needed to break down ammonia to nitrite to nitrate and even consume nitrate but you\'re better off learning more about that in the chemistry forum here. The refugium is best as an environment for macro algae which consumes nitrates to help keep your tank as low in nutrients as possible to avoid algae and other problems. Again, read more about that on your own. It\'s not necessary to have another filter.

This is just some of the basics but should help get you pointed in the right direction.

Dr.FuManchu
12/03/2006, 11:25 PM
I use a Sunpod 20" 70w Metal Halide on my 10 gal AGA. I love it great litlle light. I found mine on ebay for $150 shipped. Im sure you can find a good deal on one.
http://search.ebay.com/sunpod_W0QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQxpufuZx