PDA

View Full Version : Stand for Surfline 90 Tank

techigirl78
12/02/2006, 03:10 PM
We have a surfline 90 tank. We need to build a stand similar to the one in this picture: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=15518&N=2004+2020

The original stand has almost no storage and appears to be structurally compromised at this point. Does anyone have any tips on building a stand for this tank or even a bowfront tank? I've found them online for around $500, but if we could build it and save the money, it would be nice.

Thanks in advance!

aaronpentz
12/02/2006, 08:08 PM
You would save a lot of time if you went with a rectangular stand. That way you would have a little shelf due to the wave of the tank.

Otherwise to bend the wood to match the tank is to soak it in water for a couple of days. build a jig that matches the curvature of the tank. Then slowly you will have to fit the wood into the form. After time it will bend. This only works with solid pieces of wood. doing this with any sort of plywood will cause the outer layers to crack.

hllywd
12/02/2006, 11:44 PM
Depending on where you are it may be relatively simple to find a place that specializes in plywood. Strangely enough, in Toledo, Ohio there's a place called Toledo Plywood:D

I would build a stand with the top and bottom cut to the shape I needed and get some thin plywood, probably no thicker than 3/16" to form to the shape of the top and bottom pieces. No soaking required. Depending on the thickness you wanted the front to be you could use a spray on 3M contact cement (they have a couple different ones depending on the use) to laminate additional layers. You can get the plywood in a number of different species as you desire for the top layer. I think the trick would be to add a couple extra removable forms between the top and bottom for extra support while gluing it all up. The curves are not that severe on a surfline and the bends should be easy.

Another possibility would be to use T&G wainscote to form the front. it comes in a couple different widths that should be able to conform to the curves.

Years ago a buddy and I built a couple tobbagens. We cut off a 55 gallon drum and actually boiled the slats over a gas forge for several hours before forming them over a jig. We were young and dumb and gas was cheap. You don't want to do this.

Good luck,
Tim:cool:

staticx
12/03/2006, 07:25 AM
easy to build that
get plywood cut it to the curve for the top and bottom. then frame your two ends, and the back. then for the front with the curve get 2x4's run them side by side and follow the curve, no bending wood nothing, do you want access from the front or the back

rodgod20
12/03/2006, 09:36 AM
ths is just me, but the time and effort it would probably be better just to buy the thing.

LFS might could get you a better deal as well, just talk to them

scott324
12/03/2006, 12:24 PM
If you want a somewhat different look you could use hardwood floors (tongue and groove). I have seen corner stands made out of this and as long as the bends aren't to sharp it looks nice. The doors in front may be a PIA, but should be possible.

That stand looks like its laminate, so using thin flexible plywood and then laminating the entire thing may work as well.

Depending on how bad the original stand is I would suggest just rebuilding it. You could reinforce it structure wise or remove the curved pieces that would be a PIA and add them to your new stand.