PDA

View Full Version : How bad is a 'sting' from a Foxface?

Project Reef
07/10/2002, 06:06 PM
Just curious since I'll be getting one.

Is it comparable to a lion fish's venom? or much weaker?

absolutc
07/10/2002, 06:24 PM
Its all really dependent on you. I have heard stories of people being stung and the places where the stingers went in, turned black around that whole area for weeks.

Then I hear of some that don't have any reaction. It really depends on your bodies tollerance level. I had a foxface once, never got stung.

3_high_low
07/10/2002, 06:42 PM
From OZreef:

Rabbitfish
Rabbitfish (genus Siganus) fins contain multiple spiny processes, all associated with venom glands. To be exact, there are 13 dorsal, 4 pelvic, and 7 anal spines. The spines have two deep grooves that contain venom glands along the distal third of the spine. The spine is covered with an epidermal layer that is ruptured by trauma, releasing the venom in much the same way as with stingrays. The pain is sudden and severe lasting for hours to several days and producing considerable distress. Like surgeonfish, the wound swells, becomes numb and pain radiates to the regional lymph nodes. The immediate area can become cyanotic with a surrounding red area.

First aid for fish stings:

http://www.pharmacology.unimelb.edu.au/pharmwww/avruweb/stingin.htm#Stinging%20fish

I have a Siganus virgatus. I did pick mine up off the floor by the tail once but I've never been stung thankfully.

Just avoid being stung:D

aschroeder
07/11/2002, 09:35 AM
I don't know about the Foxface, but I'm assuming its sting is similar to a Lionfish. In which case, the reaction to the sting depends on the person being stung.

My wife is a Physician Assistant at a local hospital. A few weeks back, a lady came into the emergency room with a sting from her Lionfish. Her arm was huge, and she was in a lot of pain. She had to be admitted into the hospital. In her case, she was allergic to the sting and had a very serious reaction.

So my advice is go ahead and get one, just be careful. And if you do get stung and have a sudden bad reaction, go to the hospital. ;)

metamorphis
07/11/2002, 01:00 PM
The bite and venom are relatively mild. Local necrosis is about the worst of your worries in that department. However, I'm sure I don't need to tell you how dangerous anaphylaxis can be.

I am allergic to bee venom and also keep venomous snakes, so I always have multiple epi pens handy. I would advise everyone to keep one around. My allergist gives them out like pez. I almost died after a completely unexpected anaphylactic reaction to a bee sting some years back even though I made it to the ER literally within minutes. Lesson learned! Even the smallest and weakest venom producers can put you in an oblong box in a hurry.

Here is a very informative article about anaphylaxis for those inclined -

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/articles/97

Be safe! Don't get stung.

ophiuroid
07/11/2002, 02:10 PM
They are a great fish...I wouldn't let the risk of a sting keep you from getting one. I cleaned many small LFS sales tanks with foxface in them and never had a problem. Just got to keep an eye on where they are. Had a friend get a quick jab from one, but the typical hot water treatment seemed to be fine for her.