PDA

View Full Version : custom tank

madimod
12/01/2006, 09:11 PM
anyone know of someone in the bay area or near by who does custom tanks i perfer glass but i may be persuaded into using acrylic .
i want a tank about 55 gallons.

thanks

Kinetic
12/02/2006, 03:00 AM
LFS's can get you custom made tanks. Recently Oceanic raised their prices by 250%, so some stores may still be adjusting.

Otherwise I know KritterTanks.com (Gen's shop) does great acrylic work.

KuanTi
12/03/2006, 11:32 PM
they raised their prices by 250%?? retail or wholesale? guess that doesnt really matter. so the 37gallon cube can cost me 500$?

Kinetic
12/03/2006, 11:41 PM
well, only custom prices are expensive.

Kinetic
12/03/2006, 11:41 PM
I wanted a 58 gallon with 3 sides starphire oceanic tank. Originally it was going to be $670, ended up being $2500 after they moved.

KuanTi
12/04/2006, 12:19 AM
oh ok. and that much of a price increase since they moved doesnt make it worth it to me. I was waiting for a new stand, but it took forever since they were moving. so i ended up returning the tank and all my stuff cuz i didnt want to wait for my stand to come for the cube. oh well.

Kinetic
12/04/2006, 12:22 AM
yeah =( oceanic is nuts.

they do have a cool new series called the "tech" tank series. They have a 70 gallon that's 36" x 18" x 24" with starphire front (maybe sides too) for $670.

It's eurobraced with black silicon.

Instead I just went with a SoCalCreations 68 gallon braceless open top system. It was only $250 to ship 400lbs. worth of stuff, including a custom stand, sump, and display tank =)

tuberider
12/04/2006, 01:30 PM
The tech series looks way cool. But the way the prices on glass tanks are going, it almost makes an acrylic tank seem disposable. Use it for a few years, scratch it up, buy a new one, use old tank for a QT/prop tank. I figgure you can do that a couple of times and you spent the same amount of money.

That being said.... Give Gen a call, he does amazing work. Not Speedy Gonzales by any stretch, but it will be right the first time.

dswong01
12/04/2006, 03:51 PM
TRU VU does custom work they are located in hayward.

http://www.truvuaquariums.com/cuaq.html

stubbsz
12/04/2006, 04:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8677453#post8677453 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tuberider
The tech series looks way cool. But the way the prices on glass tanks are going, it almost makes an acrylic tank seem disposable. Use it for a few years, scratch it up, buy a new one, use old tank for a QT/prop tank. I figgure you can do that a couple of times and you spent the same amount of money.

I have a 100g that is scratched a lot in the bottom 5 inches or so ...but the thought of taking everything out, getting it into buckets and pots where it will survive then plumbing in the new tank and rebuilding a reef seems a terrifying amount of work. I live with the scratches for now.

-Adrian

madimod
12/05/2006, 09:07 PM
thanks for the replies i looked at kritter tanks site and i have alot more things to think about i.e. options as far as type of overflow , beveled edges, Yada, Yada, Yada.... before i get a real quote...

Kinetic
12/06/2006, 12:54 AM
I recommend getting rounded / polished corners (for a seamless look) or just get a completely rounded corners (he made my sides and front one entire piece). Also get the top edge rounded too just in case you go open top.

Overflow I"d recommend an external to give your tank the most real estate possible (and fewer corners to create deadzones).

goodluck =) Gen is great to work with. Try to demand spartech polycast for the tank, though he hates to go with that because it costs a lot more than plexi-g.... but try it =)