PDA

View Full Version : Live sand

NanoReefWanabe
12/01/2006, 06:52 PM
i have a 20H with a 15G sump with about 5 gallons of that dedicated to refuge..

okay so i am about to cycle my tank and i am just wondering if i should add my live sand with the LR or not...i have had people telling me that you should not add it until the nitrite stage is almost over...

any thoughts on this?

i will also have a about an inch of regular caribsea sand and about 10 pounds of lace rock in with 10 pounds of LR and a 10 pound or so piece of Agrocreate rock wall on the backside...

the agrocreate wont be in for a month or so though since i have to cure it first...

but anyway i worried that adding the LS at first will kill all the bacteria i bought it for...or so i have been told anyway..

Fishboy1230
12/01/2006, 09:46 PM
If I were you I would add all your live rock and live sand immediatly as it speeds up the cycling of your tank and adds the benifical bactieria to help begin the cylce. Also the live rock should be added since the colenies of bacteria, pods, and tube worms will help begin the cycle in the tank and speed it up, which means fish and corals faster, but being patient is the key! Have fun! :mixed:

NanoReefWanabe
12/01/2006, 09:52 PM
those were my thoughts as well...but people strike the fear into my new experience with salt saying things like what i was told...well next week begins the cycle then..i still have a couple things to set up before bringing the tank in the house...LOL like a final wet test on the CL and flow of the sump/return...wife would hate it if i flood all our new hardwood...

dustin323
12/02/2006, 01:11 AM
If I were you I'd cycle the the tank with un cured live rock. Also add all the live sand when you add the rock.

NanoReefWanabe
12/02/2006, 12:53 PM
that was a bit tricky to read but i assume you mean to add it all at once...

that is what i plan to do...i have to save a bit of the LS for my fuge too, is there any need to cycle it too before adding fish and such...i dont want to my any marcos befoe i have a bioload in the tank cause i dont want to have to supplement the water to feed algae, but should i fill the fuge with LS first aswell?

from the looks of it every one seems to have about 2-3 inches of sand in their fuges...is that about right?

Fishboy1230
12/05/2006, 04:47 PM
If your saying do you have to cycle both the refuge and the display tanks sepratly, no aslong as they are both plumbed together and are having water transfer to the other. I have about 3"- 4" inches of sand im my refugium as it gives more room for benifital organisms to grow upon in within. I belive the waste nuitrients from you tanks cycling would be enough nuitrients to feed an algea. Basicly when you cycle your tank you will have alot of algea, unsightly, very unsightly. This will disapate as your water perimeters will fall into there proper place with good matnice. If i were you i wouldnt add any fish till at least 3 weeks to a month, or as soon as your water is free of/ very little nitrates,amonia, and nitrites. You dont need live sand at all, for anything, it only speeds up you cycle time by introducing starting bacteria.

Pictures would be cool of your tank setup, Hope this helps!:rollface: