PDA

View Full Version : 'Tis the Season to Start Reefing

AdriftQuasar
12/01/2006, 12:59 PM
Hello all, I've been lurking around here for quite some time gathering information on how to keep a reef tank. So far, the only animals I've ever kept were reptiles, amphibians, and freshwater fish, but I finally feel ready to take the plunge, but I still have a few questions.

http://www.cadlights.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=39

This is what I plan to purchase. Will I need a skimmer? With this lighting system, what types of corals will I be able to keep? I plan on mainly soft corals to start withs, zoanthids, mushrooms, xenia, star polyps, ect. Eventually, I might add some LPS and some SPS and clams if I move to MH lighting. Also, what type of clean-up crew would you reccomend? I don't want to over do it. My biggest challenge will most likely be the lack of a LFS. The nearest one is about an hour and a half south, but that's just the way it goes I guess. I plan to start a thread for my tank as soon as I get everything. Thankfully, I'll be getting all my live rock for free from an established 125 gallon reeftank. :D

Lastly, I just wanted to thank all of you for providing such good information and wonderfully inspiring pictures. I spent most of my life researching ocean life, so this has been like a return to an old hobby.

Im SpSing
12/01/2006, 05:46 PM
Hey,

I have friends that live in Kirksville. Do you know Vicki and Jay Benson?

You should be able to keep all the corals listed and i think you might be able to keep some of the lower light sps at the top b/c that is T5 lighting.

My best advice is to get corals and such from trusted online vendors if you dont want to make the drive. Most of the companies are very helpful and will make sure your corals arrive nice and healthy.