PDA

View Full Version : 30-ish hex barebottom

Swanwillow
12/01/2006, 10:10 AM
ya know, I never thought of my tank as a nano, but then I come on here, and see that its at the edge

ok, background: got it for seahorses. seahorses got worms: no more horses.

I'm slowly turning it into a zoanthid tank with a shallow sand bed, but was having a LOT of algae issues. SOOO, yesterday I stripped it out, put all of the live inhabitants and one large rock into a ten gallon, and am cooking the rock.

now, I have 2 months to go into planning this. I have a CPR skimmer, and not enough powerheads. it WAS low flow for horses, remember! I lost one of the outputs for my skimmer, so I've also been dealing with a ton of saltcreep. Right now my ten gallon looks REALLY awesome, but I feel bad cause I do have a coral beauty (yes, even a 30 is too small, I know. I feel ok since its a hex, there is a LOT of swimming room, and it loves the current) which is currently pacing the ten gallon.
other inhabitants: a tube anemone (filter feeder-I target feed mysis to it) large feather duster, zoanthids, an awesome red algae (looks like a tree-maybe tang haven or kelp) a midas blenny, oh a small patch of GSP (would LOVE for it to become the bottom of the bare bottom tank!) an a rock anemone
and various crustations. makes the ten gallon look awesome, but in the 30 it looks empty. I think I need more rock, or need to figure out a way to stack it up high.

my light is a 24" 2x65W Coralife Aqualight CF hood, 1x Actinic and 1x 10,000K.. thanks to hello lights. But my tank is 28" deep (its TALL) so I only have low-light corals. would love to get a MH, but don't want to cook my low-light corals
its not plumbed, and wouldn't even know where to start. I was thinking of getting a HOB type overflow, and getting a ten gallon refugium setup.

suggestions are welcome, since I have until feb 1st before my rock starts going back in

fast94m
12/01/2006, 12:47 PM
28" is super deep for your lighting IMO. I would go 150 or 250 watt de metal halide in like a 14k so you wouldnt need supplemental actinics. I'm really excited about the nanostreams, maybe you could add a small one and have it reflect the flow off the glass? As for your low light inhabitants you could provide rockwork that offers shade and put the low light corals on the bottom, like your gsp to cover the bottom glass like you wanted. My zoas are right under my metal halides and they seem to love it along w/ some random flow. I dont have any experience w/ hob overflows but maybe you could fit a hob refugium or modded ac500 filter to help out w/ nutrient export and pod populations. Good luck w/ it and def post some pix as you go along.