PDA

View Full Version : Where to get bristle worms and pods?

BarryF
07/10/2002, 10:08 AM
That's about all I want. I would go with IPSF, but I don't want snails or hermits just yet.

Oh, and I don't want to pay $60-70 for 6 bristle worms and 20 pods. :eek: (or is that standard?)

dc
07/10/2002, 10:42 AM
They don't come cheap that's for sure. I buy from Inland Aquatics myself. I have so many bristleworms I don't buy them. I get a fauna kit instead. I know it doesn't seem like much, but my tank is full of critters now. I got 2 kits.

Pinecone_Jeff
07/10/2002, 11:07 AM
Yeah, it doesn't seem like you're not getting very much for $60 or $99, but you really are! I bought the $99 mix 'n match kit from IPSF (you can get just what you want) AND a detritivore kit from Inland Aquatics. I did this both for my big tank at home and my 10 gal at work when I set these tanks up over a year and a half ago. I still have zillions of pods, worms, brittle stars, etc. Make sure you give your tiny critters plenty of places to hide... plenty of live rock, several piles of reef rubble, and a refugium, if you can swing it, containing lots of macros.

These were the best purchases for my tanks because they do such a good job at increasing the diversity of life in my tanks (which translates to more critters along the nutrient export pathway - as Ron Shimek describes). "Diversity equals stability," says Bart Shepard from the Steinhart Aquarium. And I couldn't agree more! In this case, more is better! ;)

rhiggsbear
07/11/2002, 12:47 AM
You might try Greg Hiller. He usually does not have pods but he has worms, little brittle stars, etc.

Hey Pinecone_Jeff. I see you are still keeping your fingers wet.

Later

nbeutler
07/11/2002, 09:56 AM
Some of this life comes with the live rock you buy, what you don't get there you can always get for free by just swaping a cup of your inert sand with live sand form an established tank. If you can get sand from a few established tanks you'll be even better off.

Also you probally already knew this but don't add anything that eats any thing in the sand bed untill the populations of LS critters is plentiful, and feed enough to feed the sand as well.

If you don't know anybody with an established DSB or don't feel comfortable asking, youll have to buy the start up kit.

Good luck.

zight
07/11/2002, 12:34 PM
DC , can you explain what is it a fauna kit? how it works? price?

coachgail
07/11/2002, 04:23 PM
A fauna kit is just that--plants. I just got one from IA and I got 10 different types of macro algae, a few mini stars, a shrimp, and some pods (the inverts were hitchhikers). It was kind fo pricey, but the quality was great, the amt decent, and the variety suberb!

dc
07/11/2002, 05:46 PM
A flora kit is the plants!;) A fauna kit is basically the same thing as a detrivore kit, only no worms. I started out with LR that had been in the store for over 4 months. It was full of critters, but I wanted a bunch for my refugium. the price is the same also. Fauna Kit (http://www.inlandaquatics.com/prod/prod_refu.html)

coachgail
07/11/2002, 06:27 PM
Ya know, I shouldn't type and think at the same time. Flora plants, fauna--assorted critters. I know. I should, working with critters.

Pinecone_Jeff
07/11/2002, 06:48 PM
Thinking is not allowed. Thinking = bad.

Ha ha ha!!! :D

dc
07/11/2002, 06:54 PM
See the thing to do is sneak in and edit your post, then everyone wonders what on earth I am talking about!:D

SushiGirl
07/11/2002, 09:12 PM
Just get the WonderMud from IPSF.com...it's got worms in it. I wouldn't get a bunch to start with, cuz they'll definitely multiply like crazy!