PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing (4) 120+ gallon tanks together

LizardKing
11/30/2006, 11:54 PM
Sorry if this is a previously asked thread, I cannot seem to use the search function, and I didnt see anything that matches.

I am in the process of setting up (2) 120 gallon tanks and (2) 125 gallon tanks. I would like to plumb them together to multiple sumps in order to save on protien skimming, and hopefully get better water quality.

The tanks all have 1" outlets and 3/4" returns drilled (they are all AGA Megaflow tanks). I believe I have my returns figured out, but the question I have is as follows.

With the 4 tanks plumbed together, going to multiple sumps what size common tube should I plumb them into? I figured I would go from the 1" outlets to a 1 1/2" common drain pipe. From that I would go out to the sumps with 1" outlets. From each sump return to a tank with 3/4" returns.

I have a rc250 skimmer I plan to plumb off the far left end, and back into the sumps. I hope to feed this by gravity rather then with a pump. I would use a ball valve going into the skimmer to reduce waterflow into it if needed.

I would like multiple sumps to set up a refungium, have a mixing tank, ect. Plus I have access to tons of small tanks right now. I hope to plumb them all into the basement later on down the road and dump it all into a 650 gallon stock tank. However this will likely be a year off, and I need to do this for now.

Will the 1 1/2" pipe be enough or will it restrict flow out of the tanks? Any flaws in the idea? This will be a reef system, and Im not worried much about fish in it. I may run it fish free, or just a few to controll algae. As such Im not so concerned about the risk of mixing tank waters. This system is in a retail situation, so there will be new things in and out all the time anyways.

chinaman4u
12/01/2006, 12:06 AM
I tried multiple sumps and switched on a single sump for both tanks. My old thread ...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=855726

The main problem was if one the the drain pipes got clogged. The two sumps did not remain level even though I had a 1" pvc connecting them. One sump would fill up slowly draining the other. So to save from flooding problems, I moved toward a single sump for two tanks. Don't know if this applies to you, but may be helpful.

LizardKing
12/01/2006, 12:48 AM
Well this is what Im thinking for now.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135036120_SYSTEMS_IMAGE.jpg

If needed I would drill the sumps on the bottom and conect each of them. This would build in backups if a pump should fail. However I dont have any experience drilling tanks yet, so Im not sure I want to do that. Plus Im a bit worried the glass is to think on a standard 20 - 30 gallon tank.

As I said at some point I plan to put them all together on a 650 gallon stock tank sump. However I dont currently have the tank, plus this would require some heafty pumping as my basement is atleast 15' below at floor level, then add the tank heights, and widths and were talking 60'. Plus the temperature difference between the two levels (15 degrees on average) may cause issues.

LizardKing
12/01/2006, 01:44 AM
I assume everyone is going to reccomend I connect the sumps as well as the overflows. Guess I should get some drill bits and go for it. Any flaws with it like this (looks the same but the sumps are now connected).

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135036120_SYSTEMS_IMAGE2.jpg

fishytoo123
12/01/2006, 02:30 PM
just don't try to drill into tempered glass.

jeffgp
12/01/2006, 11:17 PM
what i would do is one big sump .. use 4 return pumps . and alot of gate valves for the returns and the overflow .. so if one tanks goes down you can contain it and shut it down ... use external pumps with 1" returns and split for dual outputs if possable .
i would go in order ......... large sump for all the incomming water and put the skimmer in this area and plump that the the retuen area .... next have the refungium with live rock ,live sand ,and cheato ..... have alot of critters in there live crabs and snales for keep it clean ..... then have for return area with bubble traps you can put you heater's in there ..
that's my 2cents

LizardKing
12/01/2006, 11:48 PM
Problem is right now I dont have room for a large sump. If I go with a 55 gallon, I will have no top clearance to work it. All the tanks are sitting on stands, not built into a wall. As such clearance is a major issue.

I figure with multiple sumps for now, I would have more sump gallonage. I currently run a few multi sump systems, and havent had any issues with them yet. However theese are pre built units, so Im sure alot of time has gone into their design.

Later I fully intend to go into a single big sump, but untill I purchase the building Im at, I dont want to spend the money Id need to on the basement to make it work.

As to the tempered glass statement, are all glass 20 and 30 gallon tanks made of tempered glass? Pretty sure all the tanks are all glass, if not perfecto.

TimberTDI
12/02/2006, 12:20 AM
Usually the tempered glass is used on the bottom pane and in bigger sized tanks. Drilling 20 & 30 you should be okay going through the sides.

Also I've had plety of success drilling 20s using the dremel approach.

Steven

LizardKing
12/02/2006, 12:27 AM
I have a bunch of 1 1/2" bulkheads lying around I figured I would use to connect the sumps (they arent big sellers, so I might as well use them up). With a hole that large, would the dremil method take forever on 6 holes? Also are larger sized holes more likely to crack with the dremil method?

TimberTDI
12/02/2006, 01:49 AM
The first time it took me about 20 minutes, the second time was around ten minutes. After the first one you get used to it and know how much you can push and when to back off. Also these were for 1"bulkheads.