PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic BioCube 29, AquaPod 24, or RedSea Max 34...Which One?

Irie Mon
11/30/2006, 09:56 PM
I'm new here and was hoping I could get some advice on an all-inclusive system from one of these three manufacturers:

Oceanic BioCube 29 Gallon (although I would want HQI lighting)
AquaPod 24 (a bit small for what I am looking for)
RedSea (new 34 Gallon, just out, couldn't fin much feedback)

Thanks for the help!

bertoni
11/30/2006, 10:37 PM
[welcome]

I don't like the AquaPod since it has a curved glass front, and the lensing effect bothers me. The BioCube seems very expensive for what you're getting. I haven't seen the Red Sea setup.

Irie Mon
12/01/2006, 12:16 AM
RedSea Max 34 Gallon. http://www.redseafish.com/max.asp

Looks like this new RedSea unit has everything. Unfortunately its $599.

I was also thinking about getting the Oceanic BioCube 29 Gallon, with a custom top that includes HQI lighting with blue LED's (night) for $430.

I feel like I'll see a big space difference with 29 vs 34 gallons.

Any advice on this? Thanks....

bertoni
12/01/2006, 12:36 AM
They're both quite expensive. I would remove the ceramic and mechanical filtration stages. Hard to say. Are you set on a specific size limit?

Irie Mon
12/01/2006, 01:04 PM
I'd like to go with 29-40 gallons. I'd like to stick with the all-inclusive set-up.

What did you mean by: "I would remove the ceramic and mechanical filtration stages. Hard to say. " Why?

papagimp
12/01/2006, 01:30 PM
Certain types of filtration, power filters, wet/dry, ect. will actually cause nitrates to buildup without removing them as effeciently as other methods. This all inclusive tend to use powerfilters or biowheels and the media they use (ceramic rings for instance) will also contribute to nitrate buildup. The all in one sounds nice, but for the price you pay, I'd rather start from scratch. Odds are as you progress in the hobby and want other livestock and items in your tank, you may be modifiying or replacing lot's of the components that made the tank appealing in the first place. And if you are completely new to reefkeeping in general, may wanna look at different tanks. You can find larger tanks that take up less room (hex tanks, corner units, ect. ect.) One general rule of thumb is larger water quantity is actually easier to maintane than smaller ones. My first 29 reef was much more difficult to keep algae and whatnot under control than my 55g. Although alot of it also has to do with maintance and setup as well.

Irie Mon
12/01/2006, 02:14 PM
I am new to reefkeeping so after reading papagimps post I'm thinking about this differently. Last thing I want to do is buy an all-inclusive unit then a month down the road find that i need to start replacing certain components of filtration due to the all-inclusive unit's shortcomings.

In the long run strating from scratch may be cheaper? I really want somewhere around a 44 gallon, but the all-inclusive untis max out around 30-35, or so I have found.

Will starting from scratch necessitate more maintenance on a weekly basis as i go?

Thanks again for the help....

AndyB4784
12/01/2006, 02:30 PM
you could still remove the filter media and just run activated carbon in the filter container of the Biocube. i'm not familliar with the red sea models but as long as you do adequate weekly water changes as your primary method of nutrient export you should be fine with one of these systems. there is a good book on nano-reefs (http://www.amazon.com/Nano-Reef-Handbook-Chris-R-Brightwell/dp/0793805724/sr=1-1/qid=1165001261/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-5089068-9324154?ie=UTF8&s=books), i've read this and seems pretty informative with good information. about the only thing that i don't agree with is that a skimmer is that necessary on a smaller set up if you do slightly larger weekly water changes (aprox 20%).

bertoni
12/01/2006, 03:21 PM
The all-in-one setups won't increase or decrease maintenance, but they are easy to buy and set up. I'd probably look into a 40g setup and work from there. You might like either approach.

papagimp
12/01/2006, 04:11 PM
don't get me wrong, all in one units are nice, but there usually just so small and I know that I've replaced at one point or another, every single component in my set up. If i had gone with an all in one, I would have wasted an awful lot of money. FWIW, my entire setup is put together from scratch and the only maintance I do is my weekly water changes and the occasional rearrangments. maintance in more linked to the way you set it up, you can make any system low maintance if your willing to invest the initial time and planning.

nhlives
12/01/2006, 09:21 PM
I am looking at the Finnex Glass 30gal with with HQI 150 + T5 HO 24w x 2 + LED (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=FI-MTG-2401Q&Category_Code=) This is a reef tank by design. No bio filtration that needs to be ripped out. A built-in fuge and skimmer. No wasted space in the back

Anyone got an opinion on this as a alternative to the three mentioned?

bertoni
12/01/2006, 10:06 PM
That setup should be okay. It'd be nice to know whether the T5 bulbs have individual reflectors or not. Looks like the nicest of the three, although quality is hard to judge from a photo.

firefish2020
12/01/2006, 11:38 PM
They all work OK but you will need to modify them for long term success IMO.