PDA

View Full Version : 29 gal cube nano tank

Victoria
11/30/2006, 05:31 PM
Hi all
My name is Victoria, My tank started when I sold my 140 gallon tank. I took a few of my favorite corals, and a few frags. . I had already had LPS and some soft corals and a few stonys. I thought it was quit easy and needed more of a challenge. So I started my nano cube SPS dominated tank. By growing up my corals from small frags, it gave me time to adjust and learn more about the interaction of alk, ca, mag, ph. I thought by watching it grow I could see the effects more. The equipment list when I first started goes as follows.

29 gal cube
30 lbs LS
25 lbs LR
I used egg crate wrapped with plastic screen to form a plenum under my sand bed.
Phosphate reactor
Canister filter W/carbon
150 watt MH 10K bulb + 2 PC 65watt actinic
I have a wave maker that powers two power heads
350-watt heater

I did make some changes to my system along the way:
I added a HOB fuge with Cheto and Miracle Mud
Removed the phosphate reactor (took up to much room in the tank)
Added phosphate remover to the canister filter with the carbon. And a bag of MM
Added a dosing pump to the system
Same lights
DIY skimmer

Mantaince:
I do 25% water changes 1x week (faithfully)
I dose ESV b-ionic Low ph formula (summer)
And the regular formula in the (winter) do to indoor Co2
I change the carbon and po4 remover 1xmonth, change the bag of MM 1x 6 months
I also change my PC every six months and the MH about every 8 OR 9 months
Front view
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e284/VICTORIARAW/Nov2906cubetank005.jpg

Side view
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e284/VICTORIARAW/reeftanksept2906026.jpg

My focus is on husbandtry. I believe that you don't have to have the latest and most expensive equitment to enjoy this hobby.

goby2004
11/30/2006, 05:42 PM
wow amazing setup!

this is what my goal is. my dad said that in january sometime i will get my own setup, but it will be easier because we will just have it hookup to his big setup. i love all your corals and especially the clam. i am making a goal of a 20-50 gallon setup. i currently have a 20 freshwater, and want to maintain and clean something more difficult too, which is what started the saltwater tank idea.

so jelous!!!

chocolateblnt
11/30/2006, 05:44 PM
Stunning ... Thanks for the PM Victoria :)

Enter your tank for the Nano of the Month!

Victoria
11/30/2006, 05:48 PM
Chocolateblnt I thought this was the link to do that??
Victoria

Jim Cannon
11/30/2006, 05:57 PM
WOW!

chocolateblnt
11/30/2006, 06:05 PM
I don't think I linked you ... did I? Anyway like I said either contact Carlos the moderator or simply re-post in the nToTM thread :)

Victoria
11/30/2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the help chocolateblnt I just reposted.
Victoria

brian is cool
11/30/2006, 08:53 PM
u should enter ur tank in the nano tank of the month
ur corals r really big and very healthy looking, nice tank

Clarkii3
11/30/2006, 10:04 PM
wow, amazing tank, awesome job!

i2go
12/01/2006, 12:46 AM
That nano isnt that great, it only has very colorful and magnificent corals. I like the brown coral look >< Naw just kidding :lol: Victoria very very very very very nice tank, i agree with you, you dont need the best equiment to enjoy the hobby. And i sent a PM to you : )

GoodBorg3
12/01/2006, 01:06 AM
Stunning! - and inspiring!!

surfnvb7
12/01/2006, 04:04 AM
looks great Victoria,

I was wondering though, is that a milli growing inside your cap on the right?

I see pics of people having that here and there, and wonder how they dont have any problems with the milli totally destroying the base of the cap as they compete for space on the same rock.

Any issues? or special ways of mounting them close by to get the visual affect that the milli is kinda in the center of the cap?

any chance of a top down shot of that area? ;)

are those star polyps bothering the cap any? looks like they are gonna grow all the way up.

mattchod
12/01/2006, 12:40 PM
Victoria, With all of your "eco-filters", how much/volume are you getting out of your skimmer? BTW - your tank has inspired me to get back into the hobby. I had a 100G reef for 5 years, but could not keep up with it. With a nano, water changes are much more managable.

Victoria
12/01/2006, 07:01 PM
Surfnvb7 Yes my Milli is growing inside of my Monti. The base causes no problems, but when the branches touch the monti they burn, I try to cut them ahead of the growth. I just take a slice out of the monti. As far as the GSP goes....hmmm that is a problem, I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I might cut the monti apart. This is a problem when you get corals to grow tightly together. I'm thinking its the same thing that happens in the ocean. I will just go with the flow... pun intended lol. I will try to get a top down picture soon.
Victoria

Victoria
12/01/2006, 07:04 PM
Mattchod I have a DIY skimmer, I get about 1/4 cup every other day. Very dark and nasty stuff.
I glad you are getting back into it. Its a great hobby.
Victoria