PDA

View Full Version : Ott Lite in nano, seen it?

Jrizzle
11/29/2006, 10:14 AM
I have a ten gallon nano with about 18 lbs of live rock two percula clowns several plate mushrooms and a small leather coral. My hood only has room for one 18 W flourescent light which i keep a marine glo from hagen in. For additional lighting i found a small lamp called an Ott - Lite. Im not sure how many of you have seen one of these, but it is a compact flourescent lamp that was designed to mock the natural sun light, it was originally used for some disney film where they grew plants for one of those shortened growth clips. Anyways its got 18 watts and ive fashioned it so its distributed evenly throughout the tank. I've noticed an amazing amount of growth in the few weeks ive been using it and was wondering if anyone else has seen something similar. For only twenty dollars, it was well worth it.

MrMexReefer
11/29/2006, 12:18 PM
cant say i have seen one... do you have a link to it ???

Jrizzle
11/29/2006, 12:34 PM
http://www.ott-lite.com/

what else? its not intended for this type of use, however its claims to be a full spectrum light and the closest thing to natural sun caught my attention

MrMexReefer
11/30/2006, 04:05 AM
cool... did you buy yours off the site?

Agu
11/30/2006, 09:48 AM
They've been selling those fixtures for years via newspaper inserts at ridiculous prices. Lately some mass marketers have picked them up. I've seen them at Lowes and Staples, and they're still pretty expensive.

They don't provide a color temp but I suspect they're about 10K. They appear whiter than the natural sunlight bulbs that are 65K sold in the light bulb dept.

BTW did you see the cost of replacement bulbs on their site :eek1: ?

Jrizzle
12/02/2006, 11:47 AM
cheap cheap

at work