PDA

View Full Version : Elephant Ear

gabegmonkey
11/28/2006, 11:12 AM
Anyone have any experience with these?
I'd like to know if they're relatively easy to keep...
Also would it be ok under PC lighting?

LFS has one that's about 12 inches for 42 bucks that's a decent price right?

kiknchikn
11/28/2006, 12:42 PM
I would be careful with those, they've been known to eat fish -- particularly fish that like to perch on things.

Cristi
11/28/2006, 01:37 PM
I had one and it was easy to keep, but I saw my lawnmower blenny perch on it and the mushroom started to close up on the blenny so I took the Elephant Ear up to the LFS. I didn't want to take any chances. If you have any small fish, I would not recommend it.

Sk8r
11/28/2006, 01:53 PM
We lost a 4" long blenny to one.

gabegmonkey
11/28/2006, 02:54 PM
OK Sounds like a bad buy then... What would you guys suggest? I'm looking to buy something pretty easy. This will be my first Shroom/Coral/Zoa or whatever... Also have been eyeballing some Green Star Polyps but I hear they can be invasive...

kiknchikn
11/28/2006, 02:59 PM
GSP can be, but if you're motivated you can keep trimming them back and trading the frags into your LFS for credit.

For shrooms I'd start with a discosoma or two, maybe a Ricordea florida or hairy rhodactis.

bigScott
11/28/2006, 03:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8636254#post8636254 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kiknchikn
GSP can be, but if you're motivated you can keep trimming them back and trading the frags into your LFS for credit.

For shrooms I'd start with a discosoma or two, maybe a Ricordea florida or hairy rhodactis.

gabegmonkey
11/28/2006, 03:07 PM
I do like Ricordea as well... Do I need to supplement anything in particular for either of these?

kiknchikn
11/28/2006, 04:05 PM
No, not really as far as I know. I never supplement anything period (unless you count food) for soft corals. They get all the trace elements they need from water changes and the food I feed to the critters.

As long as your lights are PC or above you should be fine with Ricordea floridas, just don't put them out directly under MH right away or you'll melt them. You can spot feed them meaty foods like mysis shrimp or even pellet/flake food if you're so inclined. They'll grow a little faster if you do.

gabegmonkey
11/28/2006, 08:30 PM
sweet, thanks for the advice!