PDA

View Full Version : are flame hawkfish compatible with clownfish?

BiggySmalls
11/27/2006, 07:01 PM
are Flame Hawkfish compatible with Clownfish??:mixed:

caynus
11/27/2006, 07:20 PM
I have a flame hawkfish and two tomato clowns and they never bother each other. I've had them both for over 3 years now. My flame in my favourite fish.
They are excellent additions to pretty much any tank.

I have a mate who keeps a flame with two smaller percula clowns too and he has had no problems with his.
If possible add them to the tank at the same time to minimise terrortorial disputes, but if thats not possible, i would give it a go anyway, i added mine at seperate times and from what i have seen/heard/read they are compatible.
goodluck
Caynus

BiggySmalls
11/27/2006, 07:29 PM
ok thanks i will be getting them soon

how long did u cycle before putting them in?

caynus
11/27/2006, 08:44 PM
I got my first tank already setup from one of my parents workmate. He had the tank setup for awhile before i got it, so i dont know how long he cycled it or how long he had had some of the fish before i got it. I do know that he added the hawk and clowns at the same time though.

The other 2 tanks i have setup since then have been 'cycled' using live rock, live coral rubble and water from my established tank so that they have been ready almost instantly. It is generally agreeed thought that a tank can take 2-4 months before being ready. There are plenty of cycling posts in this forum and other forums on this site, and if you cant find what you need just post a question yourself. If you ever need any other info of have other questions feel free to private message me or email me, or again just post it. have fun.
Cayne

rich99rich
11/27/2006, 09:27 PM
I have a pair of Perculas and a Flame Hawk. Been together for a couple years and they've never had problems with each other.

Outerbank
11/27/2006, 10:35 PM
They shouldn't bother each other. Flame hawks are cool, but they will intimidate shrimp, causing the shrimp to usually hide.

Amphiprion
11/28/2006, 08:43 AM
As long as the clownfish are large enough to prevent the hawkfish from swallowing them, then they should be ok. Depending upon the species, I would add the clowns first.

pjf
11/28/2006, 09:19 PM
I have Flame Hawkfish and a Maroon Clown with an anemone host. They get along fine. If the hawkfish perches too close to the anemone, the clown will swim up to the hawkfish but will not try to nip it. The hawkfish will slowly swim away without a fight.