PDA

View Full Version : brook and UV

Ron Popeil
11/27/2006, 04:25 PM
has there been any experimentation with UV sterilizers and brooklynella?

anybody hook up a unit to a QT tank containing fish prone to this disease (chrysopterus, nigripes) and had success, failure?

are there any ideas on whether or not it could help cure a fish already suffering from this parasite?

TOURKID
11/27/2006, 06:28 PM
Ive never had a uv sterilizer. but just as a quick presumption...

brook kills really fast. A uv sterilizer might not be quick enough.

and.. brook.. is it a parasite? I have a juvi that I formilin dipped and it worked great and only takes a few minutes.

JamesJR
11/28/2006, 12:54 AM
I wouldn't trust my clowns to a uv "sterilizer" or any of my fish for that matter if they were sick.

Ron Popeil
11/28/2006, 02:02 AM
james, what do you mean?

im hoping to have someone who has used a UV sterilizer specifically on a QT tank....and had results, whether negative or postive.

if all goes as planned, ill be trying this week to see if it makes any difference or not.

Rare Angels
11/28/2006, 09:22 AM
Hey Ron,

The UV wouldn't work if you ask me. Brook is an illness that develops and grows on the fish, never leaving it. The UV would only be some what effective on free floating stages of a parasite.

Just my .02.

Dave

LargeAngels
11/28/2006, 11:21 AM
doesn't work. tried a brand new 40w on a 20 gallon with a flow rate of 150g/hr.

uv's are not affective for single tank use with any parasite.

JamesJR
11/28/2006, 11:57 AM
Years ago I built a holding tank for our store and we installed a large UV sterilzer that in the neighborhood of 90 watts or so and it didn't do anything to help get rid of or prevent disease.

If my clowns had brook I'd give them the formalin dip because it works.

LargeAngels
11/28/2006, 01:17 PM
From all the research and questions I have posed I haven't found a single study or report to document that UV's are affective on a single tank use. Even Pentair Aquatics (Rainbow Lifeguard) does NOT have any data. They refer to kill rates based on flow through UV from a test done on water for human consumption.

The only report I have found was for tank to tank transmissions. And that was done on Fresh water ich. It did keep the ich from spreading to non-infected tanks, but did nothing to tanks already infected.

JamesJR
11/28/2006, 01:47 PM
that is really interesting