PDA

View Full Version : Reefkeeper II or Aqua controller Jr?

JGross4
11/27/2006, 07:54 AM
Which one would/did you go with and why?

Thanks for you time and help!

serpentman
11/27/2006, 08:31 AM
I went with the RK2. I felt that it was the most bang for the buck as at the time as there was an upcharge for the DC8, etc on ACJr.. Digital Aquatics is working on the monitoring and data logging software which should be interesting.

Although I am more than pleased with my RK2, the AC Jr. is a pretty attractive piece of hardware. One feature the RK lacks is the alarming function which would be nice. Since Neptune dropped the price, I think its the stronger buy.

matthewdmueller
11/27/2006, 09:00 AM
I have the RC2 and I love it. Its reliable, and there is the new software package coming out for it. I use it for everything on my tank and I have been really impressed with their customer service. Its also expandable which is kind of cool but expensive.

CWebHokie
11/27/2006, 09:05 AM
Tagging along on this one. I'm getting ready to setup a dual 40 breeder system with a 30 gallon sump and cannot decide between the AC Jr or the RK2. Keep the input coming.

VDub90
11/27/2006, 09:47 AM
I just bought a RK2 last week. they are both so even on features that the deciding factor was looks. The RK2 looks 10x better than the ACjr.

jmait769
11/27/2006, 09:59 AM
JGross4 – I got on a group buy for the AC Jr.:D Hands down this is the best piece of equipment I have bought. I tried all the timers out there and really wasted some money on them!

I went with the lab grade ph probe, the serial connection and one DC-8. I use it to control 6 t-5 lights, moonlights, two heaters, a fan and two pumps (turns them off using the feed cycle). I cannot say enough about it. Since my initial order I have recently ordered the DC-4 to control a kalk stirrer and automate some of my top-off system. One limit of the AC Jr is that it can only control 12 total outlets but you can use Socket Expansions to extend the twelve. I’m not sure how much you can expand the RK. For me this is fine as I’m not using two outlets.

Also, some great support here on RC from the Neptune Forum. This may not be very scientific but I watched Neptune’s and Digital Aquatics forum to see how many problems where raised and how they were handled before I decided on the AC Jr. To me, in my opinion, there were more equipment issues with the RK and the Neptune forum tends to be more on programming help. Curt from Neptune really impressed me with his responses and help.

HTH

Jay

CWebHokie
11/27/2006, 10:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8626958#post8626958 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VDub90
I just bought a RK2 last week. they are both so even on features that the deciding factor was looks. The RK2 looks 10x better than the ACjr.

I agree that the RK II looks a ton better than the AC Jr, but it seems like the programmability of the AC Jr would outweigh that. Is the RK II flexible enough for your needs VDUb?

geckofrog
11/27/2006, 11:12 AM
I have the RK2 running on my 75 gallonlink removed

vessxpress1
11/27/2006, 11:19 AM
I just bought an RK2 and I'm really happy with it. I got rid of the extra power strips (although I do have it plugged into a good one so hopefully lightning doesn't fry it) and timers.

I did not look into the AC Jr.s so I can't compare them or say the RK2 is better. I can only give my short term experience with it. I think it's over all appearance is a lot better than the Jr. It was so easy to program and everything did exactly what it was supposed to. There were many more options available for setting up each channel than I expected. It's very user friendly and has the 2 year warranty. So far (after 2 weeks) I'm satisfied with it. I love the online upgradability aspect of it too.

I think the 270.00 is a fair price for what it is and what it does. It's not a steal, but not a rip off. Shipping was very cheap.

Buying pH and temp probes annually will be less than enthusing though.

VDub90
11/27/2006, 12:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8627273#post8627273 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CWebHokie
I agree that the RK II looks a ton better than the AC Jr, but it seems like the programmability of the AC Jr would outweigh that. Is the RK II flexible enough for your needs VDUb?

Hard to say I have no experience with the AC. All I know is that the RK2 does everything I ask of it. Programing it was super simple.Digital Aquatics is constantly making firmware upgrades (which you download onto the RK2) the cable comes free. They will be offering datalogging soon

snslarison
11/27/2006, 04:46 PM
I went with RK2 based on looks and ease of use. Very simple to set up.

carlos_fb
11/27/2006, 08:18 PM
I love my RK2, very easy to setup and looks really nice too!

Randall_James
11/27/2006, 08:31 PM
I had an AC3 and hated it... the X10 modules are just too buggy and prone to line noise in the house.

I suppose if you bought the extra $200 powerstrip it would be ok but I will never touch another X10 device and hope for it to keep my tanks safe...

JGross4
11/27/2006, 09:50 PM
Well guys,

Thanks for all the advice, in the end, i ordered the RK2 with the PH probe, and the expansion pack. I bought the expansion pack so in the event of a power failure my battary backup will keep my tunze nanostream and one heater on, this way i can just plug the expansion pack, and the controller itself into the battery back up. I chose it for two reasons. It is going to be displayed, and it does look much much better than the AC Jr. Secondly, it seems like most people, when trying to decided between the two, decided one the RK2.

P.S. Also ordered a 1/2" Seaswirl too, and my girlfriend is going to kill me when she finds out how much all this stuff cost! hahaha! Happy Holidays Everyone!

crumbletop
11/27/2006, 10:00 PM
The AC Jr. is a good option. The DC8 is not $200 but is $92 when purchased with the AC Jr. Bundle. The bundle (AC Jr. + DC8) is $224.95 -- almost $50 less than an RK2 before you figure in a pH probe. If you add the serial port option to be able to program from your PC or view over the web, that costs about $30 extra or so. A pH probe is also extra. All in all, a complete setup with pH probe, serial port and DC8 will run right about $300. The DC8 is not X-10 so it doesn't have the reliability issues that X-10 has. Neptune Systems also has great customer service.

Here is a link with pricing on the AC Jr:
http://www.neptunesys.com/

The AC Jr's main advantage over the RK2 is its programmability and expandability. The AC Jr. allows a max of 12 controlled channels and the RK2 only allows a max of 8. The AC Jr. also has a more extensive set of programmable rules than the RK2, so you can make it do more. If you get the serial port option, the AC Jr. also has a digital input which means you can hook an inexpensive float switch or some such to the unit and control channels based on whether or not the switch is on or off. This allows you to do an auto top off, or can provide the input to alarm you and cut the return pump if the water level in the sump drops too low.

So basically, the RK2 is a nice unit that looks cooler than the AC Jr. The AC Jr. has a few more features and can grow with you more easily, and is more customizable.

bureau13
11/27/2006, 10:10 PM
I went with the AQJr because I need every one of those 12 outputs and then some, and because the programming seemed more flexible/powerful. To me it doesn't look as bad as everyone says, but that's somewhat subjective.

jds

Randall_James
11/27/2006, 10:30 PM
That powerstrip came down in price, when I did this is was almost $200 (I already had $700 in this thing and the X10 stuff was completely unstable)