PDA

View Full Version : The start of a reef!

suitcasey
11/26/2006, 11:52 PM
Hello there everyone :)! Just lookin for a wee bit of advice here.
Well today I went out and got some live rock for my tank. It has been set up as a FO for over 2 years now, its been amazing so far but i just wanted a change! Its a 55 imperial gallon bowfront, I'm not sure how much rock i got but its plenty for this tank, about 7 large pieces and a few medium sized ones. My final goal will be to transform this into a reef, but that wont be for a while down the line.

The guy in the shop could not have been more helpful, gave me lots of really good advice to get me started. I got some grid-like things off him to make platforms and stuff for some really nice aquascaping, im really excited and cant wait to get started!

As my tank has already been established with just fish for quite a while now, i didnt want to do anything that would harm the inhabitants. He advised me to add the rock gradually, to avoid any major shocks or stress to the fish. So tonight I put in two of the big pieces, and I have put the rest into a large container with a lid, a heater, and a powerhead for plenty of aeration and flow. Do you all agree this is a good idea? and how long should I wait before I start to add a few more in?
He said the most important thing in the hobby is to be patient, as you can imagine Im very excited to get on with aquascaping though!! but i wont do anything untill im sure im in the all clear.

I asked him about any supplements or trace elements I needed, he said with just the live rock I just needed to add strontium ions. Is this good advice? need anything else?

I think thats all for now :), I may have a few more questions tomoro. But for now I'd just like to know if i have everything I need, and when it is safest to add the rest of the rock.

Btw, I have a protein skimmer (which shall be upgraded for christmas hopefully!), an eheim canister filter, and just normal lighting (not sure what exactly, but nothing special like T5s or anythin yet :(). Also have a sump which I will soon be adding a refugium to.

Think thats everything for tonight, any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated also! I'll try and get pics up soon too if i can. thanks a lot.

Casey.

suitcasey
11/27/2006, 12:02 AM
AAAahhh im really sorry, i meant to post this in the "new to hobby" forum :(. im so stupid. i'll post it there, and maybe a mod can delete this one. Sorry for any trouble :(