PDA

View Full Version : how do i grow pods for a mandarin dragonette?

BiggySmalls
11/25/2006, 04:22 PM
just want to know because i want to get one in a while.

aquarius77
11/25/2006, 04:38 PM
I dont think you will be able to support one in a 24 gallon tank. They need alot of pods, ALOT of pods! Thats all they eat, you can order pods online to help out, but long term its just not going to work out. Chances are it will starve to death in your tank, you dont have enough rock to support the pod production that one would require and you are limited on what you can do with that tank as far as adding a sump and fuge to give the pods a place to breed.

Please take this into consideration as these are wild cought fish that do not breed in captivity. Every Mandarin you see in a store was plucked off a reef, and many end up dead because the people that buy them cannot support their need for live foods.

jpitts101
11/25/2006, 04:50 PM
this is true, however you can buy a 10 gallon aquarium just to raise and feed but that would be more time and effort than reward. i also would reconsider the mandrin thought unless you want to spend time on another aquarium just to harvest a meal for the mandrin. pods require maintance also is harvesting them. you can put a refuge in your aquapod but it would take away from the looks of it and still wouldnt keep up to a mandrins needs.

BiggySmalls
11/25/2006, 04:59 PM
ok thanks