PDA

View Full Version : Maroon and Anemone problem

aLucidDream
11/24/2006, 10:31 PM
Well I've had this maroon who is a believe adult size in my tank. I went to buy him a bubble tip today which is about the size of a silver dollar I would say. As soon as I put him in the tank he attached to a rock and the clown went over and started sucking on it and pulled it right off the rock. I stuck my hand back in and took it out of his mouth and placed the anemone back on the rock and it re-attached. Mr. Clownfish did the same thing this time taking the anemone and high tailing it to the back of the tank behind the rocks. Is there any reason why he is doing this? Since when do clownfish try to eat their anemones? He has never picked on anything else in the tank before. Also the anemone is now really attached to a rock just on the back edge of the right side of the tank....lets say he don't move by tomorrow should i try to remove him and place him back in the front where he will get some light. I'm sort of puzzled here.....what should i do?

wrott
11/24/2006, 11:28 PM
The anem will move itself to where it "feels" is best--don't worry and I wouldn't move it.
The clown is probably so excited to have a new home it didn't realize what it was doing. Clowns don't usually eat anems (may be suck on the tenticles), the anem is probably too small for the fish, but I think it will work out after the anem acclimates and spreads out (feed the anem shrimp 2x a week and it will grow fast).

dc
11/25/2006, 12:15 AM
Maroons are pretty aggressive with their anemones. I've read you should get them one larger than they are. The mouthing is normal, but your guy is so small, she's pulling it right off the rock. IMO, I'd take it back before she kills it.

kryppy
11/25/2006, 12:39 AM
I had a clarkii luv three anemones to death. If you can protect it with a strawberry container for a while it would probably be ok.