PDA

View Full Version : Time to decide on a skimmer! help needed

easye123
11/20/2006, 05:13 PM
So ive been looking at different types of skimmers for about 5 or 6 months now, but have not REALly needed one.

recently though, i have upgraded to a 90g RR that will have sps/lps and lots of fish.

i just put about 100lbs of fif LR in soo now would be a perfect time for a skimmer.

I was decided on a ER rs135 because everyone said it was one of the best. but then the price kind of got to me and i wondered if an octopus skimmer would be basically the same performance?

im sure there made out of different materials, but my skimmer will just be sitting there soo i dont think it would break but i dunno ive never had a skimmer.

Im just curious to see what other people would do if ur trying to cut the cost down but still want excellent results.

Hope some can help

Evan

Keiths_Reefs
11/20/2006, 05:25 PM
Read through the entire octopus skimmer thread (massively long) and make the call. It seems like a couple of people had problems with them and the rest loved them and had performance similar to the Euro. I personally am convinced enough that it is likely to be my next skimmer. (provided the price does not go up more than it has).

ridetheducati
11/20/2006, 07:07 PM
There are A LOT of skimmer thread currently running. Take a few days and read thru them. Since this question is asked so many times per week, be prepared to ask yourself the following questions.

- how much money are you willing to spend (e.g. $200, $400, $800, $1000, etc)
- how serious of a hobbyist are you (short game or long haul)
- how much room do you have for the skimmer (limited by cabinet height?)

I am not going to recommend another skimmer over another because we can not have or afford the best of everything (e.g., Starfire tank, Tunze Streams, and Bubble King Skimmer) Answer the first question as honest as possible and be FIRM. Once you identify which price point you want to work with, then we (collectively) can provide meaningful feedback based on that price point. Just saying you want the best is not sufficient. A more appropriate question is "What is the best skimmer for my setup at X price point."

Purchasing a skimmer is one of the most exciting purchases you can make in this hobby, because the skimmer is very active and is the cornerstone of a system.

horkn
11/20/2006, 07:14 PM
i can say an octopus skimmer will work quite well, and asave you money over the pricier options.

just cause you spend more money on something doesnt mean it is any better in performance.

for example in the motorcycle world, a 10 grand suzuki gsxr1000 will do the job better than 30k ducati 999r.. but the ducati has the exclusivity (and the sound)....see what i mean?

so what do you want?

Aquaticman74
11/20/2006, 07:14 PM
If a beckett isn't out of the question... take a look at a My Reef Creations MR-2 or the recirc MR-2R version. Andy make excellent equipment at a good price.

dhnguyen
11/20/2006, 07:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8587919#post8587919 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ridetheducati
...- how serious of a hobbyist are you (short game or long haul)

This point shouldn't even be considered. How much money one spends on equipment does not make one a serious hobbyist or not IMO and IME. I know quite a few coral farmers using DIY maxijet-stream mods instead of Tunze so.... What does that mean?

Some people out there as with anything, want the "best" meaning most expensive stuff money can buy. Some would call that a status symbol.

An Octopus NW200 will work just fine for your 90g tank IMO.

D.

ridetheducati
11/20/2006, 08:02 PM
This point shouldn't even be considered. How much money one spends on equipment does not make one a serious hobbyist or not IMO and IME. I know quite a few coral farmers using DIY maxijet-stream mods instead of Tunze so.... What does that mean?

It is not about the money, it is the commitment.

If one is serious and plans to be in the hobby for the duration, at least until life gets in the way, it would behoove them to purchase best of breed or close. Best of breed tends to be proven and reliable. The garage will not become a reef equipment closet. Do I hear a cheer from the former RIO crowd. :p

I like to hack equipment when possible. What percentage of people are are hacking their Tunze streams versus those hacking Maxi 12's?

Just providing food for thought. As you well know, this hobby is not black and white, there is a lot of gray and blue areas.:rollface:

Enjoy the holidays.

easye123
11/20/2006, 08:02 PM
ya my question was more of me wondering if since i think the euro reef rs135 is the best skimmer for my needs, i was wondering id the octopus woould work just as fine, or is there really a big difference and paying the extra 100 200 dollars would be worth it in two years.

im sure the euro reef is made better and all but would doing bi weekely water changes annd have like a octopus nw200 or nw150 would get the job done?

dhnguyen
11/20/2006, 08:30 PM
A better analogy for you easye123.

I have owned and driven both Honda and BMW cars. They both get me from point A to point B reliably and comfortably.

One costs A LOT more than the other.

Now if you were comparing a Yugo to a BMW I can understand the need to buy the "best" in terms of functionality and reliability.

All said and done, only you alone can determine what is "best" for you.

Is the Octopus the best skimmer out there? Undoubtedly not.
But will it work for your 90g tank? Im my opinion yes.

Do you need to spend hundreds of dollars more for a better skimmer? That's up to you and how deep your pocket is.

dhnguyen
11/20/2006, 08:34 PM
ridetheducati-

People don't hack up Tunze because they already spent a fortune on them to begin with. Take me for example, I was much less inclined to "tinker" with the more expensive BWM whereas on the Honda I would do everything.

And by the way I DO think the Tunze could use some improvements. Their shrouds are way too restrictive and I think a lot more flow can be gained by open up more inlet slots.

horkn
11/20/2006, 09:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8588512#post8588512 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dhnguyen
A better analogy for you easye123.

I have owned and driven both Honda and BMW cars. They both get me from point A to point B reliably and comfortably.

One costs A LOT more than the other.

Now if you were comparing a Yugo to a BMW I can understand the need to buy the "best" in terms of functionality and reliability.

All said and done, only you alone can determine what is "best" for you.

Is the Octopus the best skimmer out there? Undoubtedly not.
But will it work for your 90g tank? Im my opinion yes.

Do you need to spend hundreds of dollars more for a better skimmer? That's up to you and how deep your pocket is.

exactly why i used the suzuki vs ducati analogy. except my experience w/ ducati isnt a good comparo, since that monster wasnt reliable at all. well, unless you consider 2 rebuilds under warranty and using a quart of oil in a 50 mile trip LOL

at least with a car or a bike, the more expensive brands are more exotic, and you can show them ff. while a skimmer isnt something you "show off" per say.. you could, but its not really even comparable:lol:

ridetheducati
11/21/2006, 08:24 AM
m sure the euro reef is made better and all but would doing bi weekely water changes annd have like a octopus nw200 or nw150 would get the job done?

If this is the case get the NW200; although I think you will be better served with the ER. Just think about those days that you will not feel like doing a water change.

And by the way I DO think the Tunze could use some improvements. Their shrouds are way too restrictive and I think a lot more flow can be gained by open up more inlet slots.

What? 5000gph at 60 watts is not enough for you. (One Tunze 6200)

I drive a BMW 325 and Lexus GS350 and love them. No need to mod those vehicles, everything is already there. I did sell my duck, that was a very depressing and sad day. I only put 600 miles on it last year and the wife said it had to go.

ridetheducati
11/21/2006, 08:53 AM
In the last ten years I have had six skimmers. Partly due to changing system requirements. Of those six, three were within three years:

- 40" Beckett (excellent performer, power hungry and finicky like a Porche) In service for two years.
- ASM G4x recirculating and modded pinwheel (decent performance, left me wanting more) In service for one year.
- H&S A250 2x1260 (on the UPS truck)

I must say that I will not ever need another skimmer. EVER!