PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Question

gomab14
11/19/2006, 11:31 PM
I wanted to know if you use carbon, would it have an effect on your calcium, ph, etc...also how often should you use it. Thanks

sir_dudeguy
11/19/2006, 11:35 PM
Not sure on the side affect things, but most use it all the time and change it every 3 weeks (about)

Vitaly
11/20/2006, 01:19 AM
In theory, carbon could have an effect on water chemistry...but it is really unlikely.

Practically speaking...it won't. Be sure to use carbon that is labelled for use in marine/salt/reef aquaria. There are some sold for freshwater use that contain phosphates...and their presence will be problematic.

I buy carbon at the local Petsmart...and place a few scoops in a stalking (belongs to the girlfriend). I rinse it out really well to get any fine dust/particles off and then place that in my sump.

reefD
11/20/2006, 01:32 AM
carbon particles are not something to worry about. do a search on a brocken carbon bag spilled in tank. you dont have to get every drop out as its not bad to have particles/dust at all! dont worry about rinsing the heck out of it!
use a carbon based chemical media like chemi pure. its top notch compared to regular carbon. it never leaches! it adjust ph to 8.2, and its very very very safe to use in salt/reefs/whatever!

aquarius77
11/20/2006, 01:43 AM
My tank has never once seen any carbon, I dont use it on my freshwater tanks either.

reefD
11/20/2006, 01:54 AM
great kevin! carbon is not nesscesary or destructive...if you can keep levels zero withour it thats better! natural way is always the best! but carbon isnt bad at all if needed! i have used it for years! by the way kevin freshwater is a bad word here!LOL!

aquarius77
11/20/2006, 03:47 AM
There is a common misconception that you "need" carbon and that can get expensive. I belive people think its needed because filter inserts come with carbon in them. I was one of those people for years and i have a few large Malawi Cichlid tanks with multiple filters on each, plus some smaller growout tanks and so on, you know the story im sure... For the last 2 years i have been running without any carbon of any sort and my water is always clear and never a smell to my tanks.
Little did i know i did not "need" carbon.
As far as being beneficial or not i could not tell you one way or another, I have not noticed any difference except im not spending money on carbon and making a mess changing it. There was some talk on cichlid forum about it taking some trace elements out of the water but to what degree i have no idea, and with regular water changes you should be ok in that respect anyway.
I keep carbon on hand still to this day because if you need to medicate a tank, or treat for flatworms,(bad word) its something your going to need.

I was not knocking crabon,as it has it uses, only trying to point out that it is something that you dont have to run daily for the lifespan of your tank. HTH

reefD
11/20/2006, 03:51 AM
well stated. if its broke why fix it! if you can get away from it its better but some people live on carbon. its a sponge and when replaced effiueciently doesnt leach but only sucks all bad stuff out.

serpentman
11/20/2006, 07:07 AM
I am a big fan of carbon. Not only does it help keep your water clear, it helps remove toxins released by certain corals. Not all corals produce enough toxin to be lethal. However, many produce enough to inhibit neighboring corals from growing thus encroaching on their turf.

That being said, it is not necessary and systems can certainly run without it. It also must be changed regularly or its really a waste of time and $.

tkeracer619
11/20/2006, 12:35 PM
I will have to say that it does make a noticible difference.

I get a wow your water is clean today from friends on days I run the carbon....... Can they really tell, I don't know, but they seem to be able too.

Also it does help with chemical warfare. I never ran carbon untill 2 months ago in my display. My toadstool leather has definitly increased its growth rate since the addition of carbon.

All my levels are fine 0 nitrates, no plauge algaes, I don't even have my fuge running. I am now running 1 week with 1 week without. I run a lb at a time.

JamesJR
11/20/2006, 01:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8582374#post8582374 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gomab14
I wanted to know if you use carbon, would it have an effect on your calcium, ph, etc...also how often should you use it. Thanks

Carbon is excellent for an aquarium, will clear the water and take contaminants out of the water. The carbon can pull matter out of the water that bacteria can use as food sources in doing this it will help keep the carbon dioxide levels lower so in that way it can help keep the pH from sinking.

Most things you would test for wouldn't be affected by carbon. They say trace elements may be taken up but I wouldn't worry about them because I think the positive effects it can have on the overall water quality more than outweigh the cons.