PDA

View Full Version : No new corals, but red bugs

Satori
11/18/2006, 05:50 PM
I haven't added any new corals for 6 months, but out of no where, I have red bugs. WTH? They weren't there a week ago.

http://mike.magnuson.com/newredbugs.jpg

pop-i
11/19/2006, 05:13 PM
I was just reading up on these little critters (Tegastes acroporanus) by chance yesterday and one source suggested doing a dip in a solution with Interceptor (a pil to treat dog parasites) here's the link http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html
hope this helps.

McCrary
11/19/2006, 08:10 PM
Dude that really sucks. Pick up a sixline wrasse of you don't already have one. They will just cruise around and eat those suckers. May make the problem manageable.

SWSaltwater
11/19/2006, 10:09 PM
You could have had them for awhile and they started multiplying recently making them visible. An egg could have come in on a coral last time you added one. Dragonface pipefish will eat them but are not common or easy to keep.

Rob

pop-i
11/19/2006, 10:12 PM
Just read that these little beasts are a parasitic copepod. I wonder why mandarins don't take care of them, hum?! Probably an issue of numbers overcoming the mandarins In and Out :confused: Hope you find a way to kick their tiny butts.

cerreta
11/19/2006, 10:46 PM
Mike, I have some interceptor if you need a pill or two.

Satori
11/19/2006, 11:58 PM
I still have some interceptor from when I treated in the 55. Man, I thought they were gone for good. I went so long without seeing them, and didn't put anything new in. I guess maybe we're never totally red bug free. I really hate to treat again; everything is in such a nice balance.

SWSaltwater
11/20/2006, 12:01 PM
never had red bugs, how does interceptor affect the tank? Cause any beneficial bacteria loss?

Satori
11/20/2006, 01:07 PM
It kills off copepods and amphipods. I'm pretty sure they're fulfilling a role in my balanced tank, or else they wouldn't be there. I'm going to treat, but I don't have to like it. :)

SWSaltwater
11/20/2006, 04:11 PM
It scares me to think what else it kills off, I am knocking on wood to make sure I continue to stay red bug free. I am sure I will have them tomorrow now that I jinxed myself. After its all over you are welcome to any copepods or amphipods that I have cruising the tanks to replenish. I also have a healthy mysid shrimp population going.

owsi
11/20/2006, 04:43 PM
I want some of your Mysid Shrimp Rob

SWSaltwater
11/20/2006, 05:01 PM
you gotta fish em out though hehe. They are all over the invert tanks :) I use a pipet to suck them out. Anna spent all day getting a bunch.

Satori
11/20/2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the generous offer Rob. I'm sure I'll take you up on that. It would be a good time to see if I can get any xenia frags to survive the trip to Tucson.

clkwrk
11/23/2006, 09:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8586598#post8586598 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SWSaltwater
It scares me to think what else it kills off, I am knocking on wood to make sure I continue to stay red bug free. I am sure I will have them tomorrow now that I jinxed myself. After its all over you are welcome to any copepods or amphipods that I have cruising the tanks to replenish. I also have a healthy mysid shrimp population going.

A quote from Eric Borneman

"Approximately ten hours later, he reported that all the bugs were dead, along with polychaetes and amphipods, but the corals were unaffected. It should be noted, however, that virtually all other associated organisms died, including barnacles, polychaete worms, amphipods, copepods, and associated crustacean fauna (coral crabs) at all dose levels. Others have reported deaths of all crustaceans in whole tank treatments"

Satori
11/24/2006, 12:58 AM
Chris - did you ever end up treating your tank?

clkwrk
11/24/2006, 12:02 PM
Nope never did. I plan to soon by doing it QT method. I am pulling all acropora out of the tank . This will not include montis ,poccis or stylophora. As those will be what keeps my acro crabs alive and well while the acros are out of the tank .

I have a 40g breeder which has been setup for sometime that I will use for this ordeal. I will not subject my main tank to interceptor as there is no way really to see damage it can do on our closed systems.

People always say well your pods come back . For me its not about the pods those are easy to get and to grow its the other things we may never visually see. How can we say that everything effected bounces back . I know our shrimp and crabs don't bounce back so why assume everything else affected bounces back ? Yes pods bounce back but who doesn't add a non sps coral or maybe a piece of live rock or even macro algea . Pods always hitch a ride in or on those.

Satori
11/24/2006, 12:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8611552#post8611552 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clkwrk
who doesn't add a non sps coral or maybe a piece of live rock or even macro algea

I haven't for 6 months, and don't plan to any time soon. :)

I am finding myself feeling the same way about treating with interceptor though. I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but I treated for RBs in my 55 on 2 separate outbreaks, and I always had nothing but problems with that tank. This 180 has been perfect and balanced. I really don't want to screw that up.

SWSaltwater
11/24/2006, 01:40 PM
you might try to get some dragonface pipefish and see if they can take care of it the natural way.